Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Castaic Boils and angler behavior discussion...

Default Castaic Boils and angler behavior discussion...

Goal of this post is for hopefully all the lurkers and regular posters to read, comprehend, add thoughts, and improve the conditions of the "evil boil hoards" that is progressively getting worse on a daily basis.

I am guilty of sarcasm, finger pointing, calling out BS, adding BS,,,etc... and I am 100% serious in this thread,, No BS!

So how about a discussion and thoughts about the current boil hoarding going on?

My biggest concern is the Sheriffs and Life guards will start issuing tickets for going the wrong direction and any other infractions if us fisherman don't change this path of heated fishing.

Last Weds, Trailblazer and I were on the boils good from 6 till 1 ish when we left, and we only left cause we were getting burnt on the 15 ish boil hoards boats crashing EVERY boil, I noticed the life guard boat and sheriffs post up and watch the boil hoard ruckus...

Over the past few days I know the Sheriffs and Life guards were alerted multiple times about our behaviors.... If we're not all careful, they will shut us down.

I can tell ya this with 100% certainty that if this behavior was going down at Pyramid with those uber aggressive sheriffs, tickets would be numerous...

Again, no finger pointing, no name calling, but if you have a suggestion that maybe lurkers or regulars will read and if nothing else but to put it in the back of there mind on the water then please share.. Keep this civil please...

I will add to my suggestion about the Life guard/sheriff awareness and include that not every boil is chaseable. Guys with really fast boats seem to jump from boil to boil even if they are 1/4 mile away. If your the 15th boat on a boil, your never ever going to catch a fish on it!

If your on a school of fish popping up and down regularly and you see a boil 500 yds away that is obviously not your school and 10 boats are converging, stay where you are, your school will be back up.. Patience!

I could add a bunch more, but I am hoping for feedback from you guys and I know a lot of you would have some pet peaves, observations that could help us all get along better on the water.. Were FNN family right?

I know this isn't a report, but Castaic page is probably getting 10,000 views a day right now and this stuff needs to be addressed responsibly.

Gary, Bob, Ron, Khan, DiscoMike, Trailblazer, other regulars and lurkers I ask for you to share or atleast think about it cause this crazy fishing is just starting and could be going for months {hopefully}

When I have time to write it up properly, I'll add my two cents...I too beleive this needs to be addressed and COULD change if we all pull together
    I know...I am a dreamer...but I DO HAVE A DREAM- we can all function together if we make a concious effort and we can all benifit by catching more fish...

Problem is the people who do not read this post or do not care, hopefully we can make good examples...I know it's a dream but U know what, people dream of winning the lottery and someone does every week...

why not us?

More will come from my end, I'll do my part.
    Gary

I agree with your suggestions Cutbait. It also happens at DVL with the rentals and regulars there. Funny seeing a rental trying to gun it at a boil for one side of the lake to the other. When I am boil chasing, I learned it was better to go for the ones closer to me and chase them down with the trolling motor as oppose to starting the "main" and gunning it. Using the trolling motor I can cut the motor off and cruise into the boiling zone a little more stealthy.

The boils are mine! Mine! All MINE!!!

OK Mike, I'll put my two cents in.

The people we meet out there are from different cultures like the city, the country, other countries etc.

The people in a group fishing boils will most likely vary from complete newbies to "really old salts" like T/O.

People who have a clue may be offended by others who have no idea that they are offending people.

We need to consider how to communicate politely even while we're upset or offended. (I'm not claiming to be any good at this.) Most people will fight back when you speak to them harshly.

What should we say to someone or to a group that is crashing boils? I'd say, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Being proactive might work better than being reactive.

I had a couple boats stop as I waited for boils on Saturday. I heard the guy in one boat say to the other "Yea that's the guy.". I didn't say anything to them but I probably missed an opportunity to fill them in on how to approach boils carefully. I could have said "Hi I'm fishinone." and asked if they would work with me to try and keep from crashing boils.

All that said, we're still going to have "OUR BOILS" CRASHED.

Mike and I crashed a boil on Gary the other day and we weren't even aiming for it. Mike just cut the throttle and turned when they came up without warning (to us anyway). I knew we had done it and I thought Gary had a right to say something about it. He was a little stressed but he was polite. I answered him, gently, I think. I hope so anyway. Then we fired up the motor and blasted out of there when we left. I didn't think of it then but when he posted something about it, I knew that it was us. I'm making changes to the way I do things. Hopefully you will too.

We can all learn something by listening to others.

Castaic is one of the busiest if not the busiest lake around. We all need to show up expecting to be crowded beyond what we might wish for.

Oh! and... "It's not your boil.", you are in a public park.!

Ron
    Last edited by fishinone; 08-07-2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: To sign it.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetfish View Post
    I agree with your suggestions Cutbait. It also happens at DVL with the rentals and regulars there. Funny seeing a rental trying to gun it at a boil for one side of the lake to the other. When I am boil chasing, I learned it was better to go for the ones closer to me and chase them down with the trolling motor as oppose to starting the "main" and gunning it. Using the trolling motor I can cut the motor off and cruise into the boiling zone a little more stealthy.
    Weds we watched a green crestliner with three young men follow a school of BIG fish and whack and whack because they stayed on the trolling motor and never yelled or acted in a manner to spook the fish. Greta suggestion

I think most of the people hear on this forum know how to fish a boil at least its been posted many times. Last year after figuring out their boil pattern i would just sit it out waiting for them to come thru. Then the boil chasers would come blasting over and sink out the boil, Figured out that if I started casting like crazy and and throwing a few hand fulls of gravel into the water the boil chasers would come blasting over, after 3 or 4 times of this they moved on and left us alone with the boils to ourselfs, have not made it out this year yet. :) to see if it still works,,

Great points Ron, there are enough stripers in Castaic for everyone..Im sure the LMB guys would love us if we worked together and killed as many as possible

This is going well.. so far

Lets just kill all the stripers in the lake then we dont have any boils to worry about,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I got one!,,,,,,,,,No wait,,,,,,,,Me and cutbait got 15 dealing with the hoards and B/Crashers,,,,,,,,,,,here,s how!

When we would get stressed out from all the boil crashing at any sertain spot we would leave and go somewhere else and look for action,,,,,relax a bit,,troll a bit,,,,,,find some somewhere else,,,,,,,hit that till we were once again converged upon by the hoards,,,,,stay with,m till the stress level started increasing then split again and do the same thing all over again,,,,,,,,,

Its not only abought catching fish,,,,,,,it is what it is,,BOIL CHASING,,,,,,,,educating the masses through thread replies is pointless! imo.

Lead by example,,,,,,,,,,,,,,show respect,,,,,,,,,be the bigger man and let,m have the spot,,,,,,,so what,,,,,,,,,That my friends is what our maker wants from us,,,,,,,HUMILITY.Forgive them for they know NOT what they do.

I for one think its a blast boil chasing,,,,,,,,In my little boat with c,bait we were most always close to the last boat to get to a boil,,,,,,BUT,,We stayd vigilant on there direction of travel and tried to get in front of,m and away from the croud,,,,,That got us 15 before 1pm,,,,,,,,with a cpl dozen or so more hookups that farmed.

The people that most often blow up at each other during boil season are the people who catch the bulk of there stripers during boil season,,,,,,cause its at least a visual hunt with less specific <striper> skills to catch them year aroung,,,,,,,,,,,,i say let, m get,m,,and i hope the crashers have a blast out there doing what some of us do year around,,,,,,,,,were not the boil police,,,,YA i wish we were all perfect but were not<<<<<<<<<<eccept for my brother cutbait anyway<<<<<<------------<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

If anything that ive said contradicts anything at all that he says then i stand corrected here and now.

LOL

BEST DARN FISHING PARTNER I EVER HAD!

T/B
    Last edited by trail blazer; 08-08-2012 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trail blazer View Post
    I got one!,,,,,,,,,No wait,,,,,,,,Me and cutbait got 15 dealing with the hoards and B/Crashers,,,,,,,,,,,here,s how!

When we would get stressed out from all the boil crashing at any sertain spot we would leave and go somewhere else and look for action,,,,,relax a bit,,troll a bit,,,,,,find some somewhere else,,,,,,,hit that till we were once again converged upon by the hoards,,,,,stay with,m till the stress level started increasing then split again and do the same thing all over again,,,,,,,,,

Its not only abought catching fish,,,,,,,it is what it is,,BOIL CHASING,,,,,,,,educating the masses through thread replies is pointless! imo.

Lead by example,,,,,,,,,,,,,,show respect,,,,,,,,,be the bigger man and let,m have the spot,,,,,,,so what,,,,,,,,,That my friends is what our maker wants from us,,,,,,,HUMILITY.Forgive them for they know NOT what they do.

I for one think its a blast boil chasing,,,,,,,,In my little boat with c,bait we were most always close to the last boat to get to a boil,,,,,,BUT,,We stayd vigilant on there direction of travel and tried to get in front of,m and away from the croud,,,,,That got us 15 before 1pm,,,,,,,,with a cpl dozen or so more hookups that farmed.

The people that most often blow up at each other during boil season are the people who catch the bulk of there stripers during boil season,,,,,,cause its at least a visual hunt with less specific <striper> skills to catch them year aroung,,,,,,,,,,,,i say let, m get,m,,and i hope the crashers have a blast out there doing what some of us do year around,,,,,,,,,were not the boil police,,,,YA i wish we were all perfect but were not<<<<<<<<<<eccept for my brother cutbait anyway<<<<<<------------<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

If anything that ive said contradicts anything at all that he says then i stand corrected here and now.

LOL

BEST DARN FISHING PARTNER I EVER HAD!

T/B
    With all due respect Scott, you guys were out there ONE day, it’s got ALLOT worse just since then..

Ur intensions in ur post are completely notable and definitely respectable but leaving everytime is not the resolution…and sometimes not an option if U have limited time in a day to fish

I have done this exact thing you mention above probably at least 50 times… (just did it yesterday to no avail)many of those time I am subsequently followed immediately after leaving OR …once I stop…even way on the other side of the lake…the “evil boil hoard” and it’s minions follow…

There will NEVER be ultimate resolution obviously but it’s my belief that we need to open a few eyes here…online…when people have their thoughts about them and not in a frenzy.

Maybe a little bit of common sense will slide into the cranial

Sorry to disagree but this comes from someone who’s there 3-4 times a week, I see it just about every other day personally and have stood by and watched it progress with no end in sight

Maybe…just maybe we can impact things even if ever so slightly…any improvement is better than letting it get worse.

PLUS by getting angry we all lose….fishing is fun and pure….the stress from getting upset really takes away some of the fun..

I’ll point out that what you suggest is great, the problem is it does not always pan out…I am a HUGE fan of leading by example but U can lead a horse to water but he doesn’t always drink…

Unfortunately…

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast