Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: They're BOILING... No, Really!!! Pyramid Sunday 8/5/12. Nice Change of Pace.

Smile They're BOILING... No, Really!!! Pyramid Sunday 8/5/12. Nice Change of Pace.

Attention: This is NOT a "fake" report! Everything you read actually happened... I think...

I haven't done any freshwater fishing in over a year. Having too much fun chasing Halibut and White Sea Bass.
    Needed a change of pace so decided to take the Assault Vessel out to kill some Stripers. The boys wanted to hit Castaic because of the recent boiling action. Never one to follow the crowd, I thought about it for a minute and said, "We're going to Pyramid..." From the intel I got, Castaic was a complete cluster you know what over the weekend, people are such Sheep, lol.

Anyways, got to the lake around 5:30am, went through the Quagga inspection and launched. I couldn't believe it, we were the ONLY boat. NOBODY was there, we had the lake to ourselves. At the launch ramp, we saw a few smattering of boils around the area and a bigger boil in the distant near the swim beach. Took my time setting up the U-rigs for the troll and told the boys to tie on their favorite topwater lure.

Off we went and within 15-20 minutes got a double hook up on the troll. Then the boil started happening... as we were slow trolling the channel, boils would start popping up here and there. We would just slide up to it, crank in the trolling rigs and started throwing Sammys and Spooks at it. One time, while I fast fast cranking in the trolling rigs, I get hammered and pulled in a Striper. That was kinda cool, lol. The boils were by no means massive and only lasted a few minutes each, but we ran into about a dozen of these in the early morning and got the bulk of our Stripers from them.

The Shad they were chasing were about 2-3 inches long and they were coughing them up on the boat. We only got about 7 or 8 Stripers all morning on the troll and the rest on the boils. Pretty amazing that there was hardly anybody on the lake. We saw one other fishing vessel the entire morning, that's it.
    We trolled, worked the boils and anchored out by the dam for about an hour to soak bait and caught a few dinks on cut Sardines. By the time noon time rolled around, the lake was full of Lake Lice, with jet skis and pleasure boaters everywhere. The water got choppy and the wind picked up. We decided not to stay for the afternoon/evening bite and headed for the launch ramp. Outa there by 1:00pm, as the place was starting to turn into a complete zoo.

Pretty good day of fishing... We took home 20 fish between 1-3 lbs, nothing big, but the action was great. Released at least another dozen ultra small dinks. These Pyramid Stripers aren't as big as the Castaic or DVL models, but they looked fat & healthy and just as much fun to catch.

For me, it was a refreshing change of pace and thankful that my first trip back to the fresh was a successful one.

Binh & Sokha... good times my Brothers from another Mother. I'm glad that "we" made the right call.

Special thanks goes out to Bob (TroutOnly). I learned a lot about Striper fishing from Bob over the years. Trolling, topwater, bait and wait... whatever it may be, there's not a Striper slaying technique that Bob hasn't mastered.
    I appreciate your personal guidance and sharing your knowledge with me Bob... and don't worry, I don't plan on guiding anytime soon, lol

Take care everybody and I hope your fishing session was equally successful or better than mine.

Arthur (Wingnut)

"The major cause of failure and unhappiness in life is trading what you want the most, for what you want at the moment."

Here are some pics of our fun session.

Gassing up.

Let us in! We were the only boat.

Sokha's first topwater fish...

Bounce that sucker buddy!

Binh getting into the action...

The action got fast & furious at times and we would bounce the fish, rip out the hooks and just left them flopping around on the deck.

Body count pilling up...

Phuong's playhouse getting full.

One on the troll.

Another one on the troll.

Sokha & Binh.

One of the Striper coughed up this fresh dead little guy.

The"super model' pose, lol

Back at the launch ramp.

The Sheriff patrols were out in force on Sunday.

The place turned into a complete zoo.

Scrubbing the evidence, blood... what blood?!?.

Food pics: Sunday night's dinner.
    Fresh Striper, steamed Asian style with green onions, garlic and ginger. Compliments of the Iron Chef.

Sauteed Clams with green onions, ginger & basil.

Parting shot.
    Greetings from S.W.A.T. Central Command.

Last edited by Wingnut; 08-07-2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections.

Ok! you Castaic guys tyring to lure people away... LOL

Nice catch guys!

It will be nice to have more lakes to choose from.

Congrats on a great outing. Love the reports and pictures as well. Looks like I have to start venturing out to farther lakes to fish hahaha Can't wait for the day to experience a striper boil.

Thanks for the report

Outstanding report with pics to boot!

still can't believe how you guys were able to troll? From what we found Weds and what my buds experienced Sat Im in disbelief!

How was the bait bite at your bouy?

Nice fish count

AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

2 lakes to chose from now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks w/nut for the great report.

The MID,,,,,,,,,HERE I COME!

Smile Wingnut's response.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinone View Post
    Ok! you Castaic guys tyring to lure people away... LOL

Nice catch guys!

It will be nice to have more lakes to choose from.
    Yes, I'm trying keep people away from my Halibut beach spots by getting them to go to the lakes instead, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Fysher View Post
    Congrats on a great outing. Love the reports and pictures as well. Looks like I have to start venturing out to farther lakes to fish hahaha Can't wait for the day to experience a striper boil.

Thanks for the report
    Thanks man, it was a fun day. I've been in some really intense boils and they really get your heart rate going...

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    Outstanding report with pics to boot!

still can't believe how you guys were able to troll? From what we found Weds and what my buds experienced Sat Im in disbelief!

How was the bait bite at your bouy?

Nice fish count
    Now that you mentioned it, trolling was actually a little bit of a pain. Lots of floating weed patties everywhere that you have to keep a look out for and the algae bloom was thick in some areas.
    We pretty much concentrated our efforts in the main channel. We anchored up near the "bouy" for only about an hour and caught 4-5 really small models on cut Sardine. Didn't meter much there at all...

Quote Originally Posted by trail blazer View Post
    AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

2 lakes to chose from now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks w/nut for the great report.

The MID,,,,,,,,,HERE I COME!
    I was inspired to chase some Stripers from the Bako Boys reports and Gary and Bob's report as well.
    Keep up the nice work out there!
    Last edited by Wingnut; 08-06-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Adding replies...

Can the Iron Chef post that steamed striped recipe?

Epic outing guys. Looks like you kept pretty dang busy...gotta love that kind of action!

Congrats!
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by OCFishing420 View Post
    Can the Iron Chef post that steamed striped recipe?
    and the clam recipe too!

Cant go wrong with some boiling action!
    Great job out there guys.
    That steamed striper looks amazing

Dang Arturo!!!
    I haven't been fishing in ages and you post a report like that!?
    Very nice fish count and all pretty good sized also.
    Now when are we taking the ( What did you name the boat again? ) boat out for tuna???
    Looks like Binh and Sokha were loving it also...
    I think a clam trip up North is in order
    Take Care,
    Robert
    <><

back to work

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast