Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Hard Halibut to Break in N.County 8/4/12 AM Report

Default Hard Halibut to Break in N.County 8/4/12 AM Report

Well I have to start out by saying that Fishing for me the last two weeks has been pretty bad. The reason for this was a strong surge brought in a lot of sand an covered my holes. :roll: Nothing you can do right? I was dealing with a lot of seaweed as well.
    So, when I arrived on Monday to start the week, the first thing I saw was the structure back and the sand gone. It kind of makes you want to jump up and down.

Monday was a good start to the week as the first five casts produced. One of the cast got me a Short White Sea Bass. No pictures as it was a super quick clean release. All this fishing in the AM is done 2 hours before work. The moon was out shining a couple of mornings this past week an let me tell you something right now. It is one of the best things to experience in Southern Cali in my opinion. If you have never done it, I suggest you try at least one time. Standing all alone in the dark with the moon glistening as you use that ray of light you can practice your casting. it's surreal actually. being from the East Coast I guess this is a big deal.

Ok, this AM conditions. Overcast,falling tide, water was pretty warm around 65 degrees I'd say. 5 inch plastic Tenacious Swim bait.

This is how it went down. I get to my A/O an notice even more sand gone, makes me even happier. Dark conditions and I really can't see much. You have to do it all by feel. I like to call it line sensitivity training.

First cast I toss out there as I'm wading up to my waist. My line gets slammed on the very first cast! Crazy times an what a great fight she fought. Pulling rea

24 1/2 Inch Halibut Very excited to get back on track with the right kind.

Very happy! Not easy dodging stingrays an sharks an having fish bump into your ankles. I get creepe out some times come back in get my composure and go back out there.

24 1/2

Few other shots and it was an increible fight. took me fifteen of blind fishing to bring her in. Halibut are funny. They swim in with you for longer then I expect them too. Then you see them get ticke off an haul *****.

Last pic

I'm addicted! I took this fish home and cooked some up for my girl and to know she really appreciates it makes it all the better. Keep those lines tight!!

Joel Until next tide.

Nice report n pix,thanks for the posting!

Default O,Dark Halibut

NICE CATCHIN !!!

In the dark of the morn. too

Nice report and congratulations on your butt!
    And kudos for the brownie points with the girl, it goes a long way!

Alex.

Congrats man! Thats a pretty sexy halibut you got there! I hope you both enjoyed that delicious tasting fish

P.sS
    The addiction only gets worst my friend

Thien

Very cool report man! Thanks for sharing the pics too!

Very nice hali man.... They're so tasty indeed!

Thanks for report and pics!