Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Green Sticks Ranchero Loking,..

Default Green Sticks Ranchero Loking,..

After last weeks hot tip on a spot that was boiling with bass didn't come thru, I went looking all over pools in search for the checkers! My bro came along as well. We were going up and down the hills, rock hopping and getting splashed by rogue waves trying get at any spot that had the kelp fields close so we can fish the warbaits and big hammers,..
    We went right into high tide fishing and it was slow! Not much happening the first couple of hours, we would switch over to ghost shrimp to catch some perch and cabs, just to get the skunk off and to have something pull to give us a little fight,..
    Finally around 11 I was trying a new hole in the middle of the kelps that looked promising, first cast got hit but no take! Started focusing and cast the hammer a little further in the kelp and let it sit...started to jerk it a little little, got it off the grass and into the drink...let it sink a little before I started to slowly retrieve the plastic...Then BAM! Fish on! Good runner, got in the kelps a couple of times but i managed to pull him out! I didn't have the advantage of moving around to complete this task as I was standing on a lone rock sticking out the water with a swell coming in up to my knees and at times I would lose my balance but prevail I did...Got the fish to the rocks! Pulled it out of the drink into a tide pool then did a little dance! Boom,..
    The bite wasn't constant but I did get a checker count close to a dozen! They ranged from 2-3 pounders, not bad at all! Lost a couple of good pullers in the kelp and lost 6 warbaits in the fields. Gotta restock now, so gonna be going to Sav on tackle soon! Tried the Reebs for a while but since it was my last one I wasn't casting it hard into the kelp and was reeling in with a faster retrieve, it got hit a couple of times but no hook up! Next time, think I'm gonna try another spot that looks promising next week and soon gonna be tubing a spot we came across during our little adventure today! Hope you all like the pics,.. \m/

First spot,..

Boom,..

It was a hot day so we took a little dip in this pool and it was cold!!! LOL

Nice one,..

Little piggy,..

100 in Whittier right now! So this pic looks so refreshing,..

Bass and Gear shot,..

This guy almost spiked my leg when I was bringing him up! It would have been hell to go up the hill if he succeeded!

Bass shop pic,..

Victory lunch,.. \m/

Congrats to the USA Olympians! Still showing America is number one,..

Nice Calicos ... WTG !!

I find those kinda of trips to be one of the most rewarding ways to catch fish.
    Great hikes, spectacular views and casting your line into the Ocean, makes it
    all worth the hike.

Great pics too !
    Last edited by Newfishsmell; 08-12-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Great job on the checkers...and dodging that rattler! That definitely woulda put a dark cloud on your day if you got stuck by that bad boy. I've only had it happen once...hopefully never again!

Congrats on getting into some nice fish and thanks for the read!
    Don

Looks like a great adventure thanks for sharing. Having the ability to read the conditions (no current= poor), and adjusting your technique accordingly is half the battle. Having the patience to stick out for hours with out a bite, not giving up, trying new spots, and waiting out the conditions is the rest. Good work Lokey now get back out there and catch some more..

JerryG