Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: San Antonio Lake 2 Aug 12

Default San Antonio Lake 2 Aug 12

Got out on the water a little after 6 am. I had heard about the boils down by the dam so we started out down there. Had nice fog cover but no boils. We threw spoons for a little while then went to Bee Rock. Saw alot of fish on the finder and bait fish all around us, even saw a few fish jumping at the surface but again no bites. I threw a sexy spoon, Zara spook, a crocodile spoon, a few different swim baits and nada. Around 8am we went to Three fingers to fish for some smallies. Started throwing a drop shot my buddy lands a smallie 1.5 lbs. Then again nothing. Around 10am went to the marina and fished the cove across from it; nothing. We started working east back towards the dam, we hit a few smallies (1-2 lb range) heading back that way. We gave up around 2pm.

Total fish caught 4. Water Temp 75 degrees. Temp got up to 95 I think. It was hot and slow today. Alot of boaters out there for a Thursday did not make a bad day of fishing any better. So its back to the drawing board for me!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joejoe77 View Post
    Got out on the water a little after 6 am. I had heard about the boils down by the dam so we started out down there. Had nice fog cover but no boils. We threw spoons for a little while then went to Bee Rock. Saw alot of fish on the finder and bait fish all around us, even saw a few fish jumping at the surface but again no bites. I threw a sexy spoon, Zara spook, a crocodile spoon, a few different swim baits and nada. Around 8am we went to Three fingers to fish for some smallies. Started throwing a drop shot my buddy lands a smallie 1.5 lbs. Then again nothing. Around 10am went to the marina and fished the cove across from it; nothing. We started working east back towards the dam, we hit a few smallies (1-2 lb range) heading back that way. We gave up around 2pm.

Total fish caught 4. Water Temp 75 degrees. Temp got up to 95 I think. It was hot and slow today. Alot of boaters out there for a Thursday did not make a bad day of fishing any better. So its back to the drawing board for me!

Joe
    Stick with it. You might try doing more trolling when you locate fish in an area on your graph, or jigging spoons down into the schools if you can keep track of them. Keep the casting for when they come up and boil. Hey, you got 4 smallies! Now that's some nice fishing.

Oh, I forgot...Keep the reports coming...the good, the bad and the ugly. We all can learn from them. Thanks for your report joejoe.

Quote Originally Posted by snospdr View Post
    Oh, I forgot...Keep the reports coming...the good, the bad and the ugly. We all can learn from them. Thanks for your report joejoe.
    Yeah, It may not seem like much of a striper report but believe me I appreciate any word I can hear

Thanks

Thanks for the info and report JJ,,,,

T/B

Trolling the bait balls I locate is what I do. If you find good bait marks and can see larger fish hanging around them they might just erupt into a boil.
    Still working on learning the best way to use my down rigger.
    I've caught fish with it but I've missed more than one.
    I hope to get better with it.
    Thanks for the report.
    Every bit of info helps, even what didn't work.
    Last edited by plumbertom; 08-03-2012 at 08:52 AM.

meter the bait or the fish and put the down riggers right in front of them. Stripers wont move to far to hit it. White Hair Raisers with a pearl trailer have worked for many many years. Good luck!!

JoeJoe77,

Great report on a lake that is not giving up many stripers right now. Your good efforts will be rewarded soon. We plan to go but we are waiting for the right time.

Thanks for the report,

Sluggo

The Shad are small. Keep your baits the same size. I like a Kastmaster customized with (flashtape and fethered treble hook.) Also good binoculers can help. They are boiling somewhere!!! Good luck!