Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 07 / 25 Fun Bassin' On A 3/4 Sportie At SBJ !!

Default 07 / 25 Fun Bassin' On A 3/4 Sportie At SBJ !!

a great report as usual. What does it mean when the barracuda go to pencils???

I'm planning on taking City Girl out next week and hope to get her on some fish - anything that'll tug a line.

Hi City Dad,

Somewhat like the Japanese, only Japanese have actual different names for a single species at different points along it growth to maturity, folks locally have terms that indicate what size (maturity) a fish has attained. BArries for short, Gar, and Slimesticks are general terms while stovepipes, logs, slugs are bigger Barracuda then going down to the average legal size fish of 5~7 pounds and finally to the barelycuda (just barely legal) and finally pencils which you can imagine are under the legal size as shown on most boats bait tanks. When the fish start to become shorter (younger) it's a sure thing one is at the end of the migration cycle.

A few more left out but this should give you the general idea ! :)

tsurikichi
    Last edited by JapanRon; 07-26-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JapanRon View Post
    Hi City Dad,

Somewhat like the Japanese, only Japanese have actual different names for a single species at different points along it growth to maturity, folks locally have terms that indicate what size (maturity) a fish has attained. BArries for short, Gar, and Slimesticks are general terms while stovepipes, logs, slugs are bigger Barracuda then going down to the average legal size fish of 5~7 pounds and finally to the barelycuda (just barely legal) and finally pencils which you can imagine are under the legal size as shown on most boats bait tanks. When the fish start to become shorter (younger) it's a sure thing one is at the end of the migration cycle.

A few more left out but this should give you the general idea ! :)

tsurikichi
    Oh, got it (I kinda figured it was a size reference... but then thought maybe they're feeding on pencil-sized bait.) So when the barracuda migration tapers off... can that mean the sand bass migration is going to start? Seems like they were a lot more numerous 'round this time last year.

As I mentioned, City Girl and I are planning to go out. Every year she gets good grades I take her on a boat. We're slowly learning the ropes about party boats.

Hi again,

Actually as recent as 5 years ago Bonito, Barracuda, and the Bass migration happened near the same time. Now .... NO Bonito run, Barracuda come first and often are gone before the main migration come to L.A. We're lucky this year as the cuda have hung around more then their 10 days last year !!

JapanRon

Nice day of fishing Ron!

Thumbs up

That's a nice session Ron.
    As always, thanks for the excellent report.

Great bassin' Ron, thank you very much for your excellent report!

On the down side, a Dad of the Ghetto once told me that when you start seeing more of the bigger grade of bass, the end of the spawn is near...

Hi Jackpot Jimmy,

That angler had lots of experience so he just may be right ..... hope not but .....we'll just watch and see. Wonder if he's still slingin' iron .... his first love !!

JapanRon