Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do I find fresh mussels for bait near Belmont Pier?

Default Where do I find fresh mussels for bait near Belmont Pier?

I saw some fishermen using fresh mussels for bait at Belmont Pier. Anyone know where I can get some around Long Beach or Newport Beach Area?

big fish has fresh i believe. otherwise the 7/11 by the pier has frozen.... i was there sunday and a couple were bringing in huge croaker with muscles!

Thanks -Where's big fish? It looked like they taken off the docks, jetty, or rocks somewhere locally - Not frozen. Do you think they were using big hooks to take them off the pier?

Buy a monster weighted treble hookand a rope. Then snag them off the pier

big fish is in seal beach at pch/seal beach blvd and also what OC said, if you are coordinated enough,which im not lol you can get them off the rocks at 72nd or the pier.

Best time to collect them is during a negative low tide.

Dont waste your time purchasing them unless there's absolutely no way to get them otherwise, and if so, do not use frozen mussels. They're overpriced and ineffective, not to mention fragile.

No need to spend money on buying them or buying a large weighted treble hook (gaff)

Head to the dock in Alamitos bay, ask the lady at the counter if you can get some mussels of the dock and then head down with your gloves or bare-handed and collect your mussels, easier, no need to spend money and best of all, high or low tide doesn't matter, the mussels are there on the side of the docks. That's what I do. I will probably be fishing that jetty on Friday afternoon. Back in the days probably 10 years ago, that place use to be really hot for YFC, I don't fish it much anymore so not sure if it's still hot like before. Good luck and yeah, save your $$$ and don't buy mussels

Thanks Fysher - I will give that a try.

If all else fails I'm down to try and snag them - lol.

Careful. Some piers prohibit that.

Seal Beach is one of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast