Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7/21 Skinner chunk

Default 7/21 Skinner chunk

Hit Skinner Saturday for what I thought was going to be a back seat in a club tourney. Long story short, the tourney was SUNDAY not Saturday When given lemons, one can suck it or make lemonade. I went for option B. Met a cool cat in line named Johnny and we decided to split a rental. He was looking for stripers and I was looking for LMB. We decided to hit the inlet 1st to get in on the action. Water was really flowing so we thought it was going to be on. Unfortunately nobody was home so after an hour or so we headed off looking for some LMB. Worked our way around some coves picking off one here and there. Johnny was stoked to get some LMB as that is not what he usually fishes for. Drop shot was the main weapon. Saw plenty of cruisers near the tullies and outside weed edges. Fish are super spooky so all I can say is slooooow down and your catch rate will improve. About 930 we neared the back of a cove when I spotted a nicer grade. Water was super clear, so it was not to hard to tell this one was nice. Tossed the ds near the fish and she just cruised away. 5 min later we spotted her AGAIN about 30 yds away. Decided she wanted a meal and switched to the jig. She actually went nose down on it for a few seconds then slowly cruised away. We decided to give her some space and as we started to move out of the cove a, KVD wanna be decided the cove was big enough for 3 boats. Another boat was fishing about 100yds away but being respectful. This clown got within 20 yds of us 2 separate times. They did not know we where on a nicer fish, just an idiot. We slowly drifted towards the back of the cove and I told Johnny " odds we see that fish again are zero........crap there she is" I toss the jig again and she noses down for a few seconds then starts cruising away. I grab the Magnum lizard set up and make a toss that would have made Tom Brady proud. I led her perfectly and she slammed it on the fall. After a few runs was able to get her to the boat. Johnny did the honors and lipped her like a champ. The best part was the KVD wanna be prick got to see and hear the whole thing This fish was freaky looking. Looks like she had a stocker trout already in her belly, you could actually feel it. Overall we got 10 fish between the 2 of us by 11a and decided to call it a day.

That is a nice chunk for Skinner. Well, for anywhere really. Perseverance pays off.

Lol, not bad for a day you shouldn't have been there! Sweet fat pig indeed. Well, that's either a holdover or a big fat bullfrog in there. Geez, the shape of her belly actually looks like it hurts. Nice job!

Nice fish! I was there on Saturday as well. We had an easy picking of 2-5# bass all morning off main lake points, I did however break off on something quite large. It pulled drag for 5-8 seconds then broke me off :( I love fishing skinner!

Huh! I also lost a big something on my dropshot rod with brand new 6# flouro. Snapped it easily. Might have to go have it restrung with 8-10 lb test for the summer?

Good stuff, thanks for report. That point from whatever is in the belly is making my &@$ hole hurt just by looking at it.

Ben

By the way did you get a weight on that thing, what maybe 2 or 3 lbs? Looks small for a 3 lber eh?
    The trout in the belly not the big freaking bass I mean ha ha
    Last edited by ben0606; 07-27-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P.A.W. View Post
    Huh! I also lost a big something on my dropshot rod with brand new 6# flouro. Snapped it easily. Might have to go have it restrung with 8-10 lb test for the summer?
    I had the same setup

Thats an impressive fish goseango! Way to stick with it and keep changing baits until you found out what she wanted....

Great report and pic!

funky looking fish. LOVE IT! fish looks a little bit larger than we may think. you're not exactly a short guy like me. haha. how fat was it?

That fish looks like a Mike Hart special...with a 16 oz dive belt weight in his belly.....she'll weigh even dead..lol Jk ...Nice fish..way to pester that girl.... they know they want it! quit playing hard to get

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast