Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Weapons availability

Well, one thing is for certain. One can always count on bringing out the fanatics on this kind of issue. I never suggested taking guns away or changing any amendments to the Constitution. Never the less, the fanatics came out thinking and saying I did. This reminds me of the book titled Whats The Matter With Iowa. The Republicans are masters at getting people to vote against their own interests. Then those same people revel in doing so, so blinded as they are to what's really happening. Their was a reason that the President referred to the line god, guns, and gays during the 2008 campaign. The right is blinded in their focus on irrelevant issues while the real issues are ignored. Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by pcuser View Post
    Well, one thing is for certain. One can always count on bringing out the fanatics on this kind of issue. I never suggested taking guns away or changing any amendments to the Constitution. Never the less, the fanatics came out thinking and saying I did. This reminds me of the book titled Whats The Matter With Iowa. The Republicans are masters at getting people to vote against their own interests. Then those same people revel in doing so, so blinded as they are to what's really happening. Their was a reason that the President referred to the line god, guns, and gays during the 2008 campaign. The right is blinded in their focus on irrelevant issues while the real issues are ignored. Just saying...
    Well well, proving once again when faced with the facts liberals just turn back to name calling..

Typical typical...

There are 12 dead and around 59 wounded, 11 of those in critical condition. How many lives and families damaged and changed forever? Two handguns, a shotgun and a semi-automatic rifle with ample ammunition to kill everyone in the theater. Multiple clips containing up to 100 rounds. All purchased and possessed legally. The Smith & Wesson AR-15 type rifle, .223 caliber with the drum clip can fire 50 to 60 rounds per minute. All were purchased in the last 60 days. He also purchased more than 6,000 rounds of ammunition during that time period, some over the internet, all legally obtained. Furthermore, according to the police chief, he was wearing a black ballistic or bullet-resistant helmet, a ballistic tactical vest with pockets, ballistic leggings, throat and groin protectors, a gas mask and ballistic tactical gloves. Overkill perhaps? This says nothing about his booby-trapped apartment, perhaps to be used to occupy police prior to the shootings. Fortunately, that plan failed.

According to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence – there have been hundreds of mass shootings in the U.S. since 2005 – averaging roughly 20 every year. And yet, there’s absolutely no talk of gun control in America. We're not talking about taking anyone's guns away as is so often trumpeted by the right wing. We are talking about controls and limits and keeping guns away from unstable people. We're talking about taking away the ability to fire so many rounds per minute. And one doesn't need that capacity to go hunting. If one wanted to shoot like that, gun ranges could provide that ability without it getting to the general public. Don't even reply that guns don't kill people, people do. The currant state of the law allows people to legally obtain and use guns to kill people. This argues for removing the people who would do this from the implements with which to carry it out.

Let the bomb throwing and name calling begin...
    And how exactly do you remove the availabitily from this unstable guy, when he never gave any inclination of being unstable previously?

I'll buy as many rounds as I chose,, you want to limit?

What in your opinion is a limit one may be able to purchase?

5? 10? 100? a day... still is 5, 10, or 100 potential fatal rounds..

I'll take my freedom to purchase what I want, when I want..

Thank you for your concern though..

I noticed no comment about todays culture which I clearly explained and quite frankly find it difficult for anyone to argue in this case?

In the early 1970’s my wife and I were awakened by a phone call by a neighbor after 2:00am. The neighbor had returned from the night shift at work and saw a vehicle parked in our private drive and two individuals in ski masks at the side yard of our home in his headlights. Needless to say I was on high alert and got a firearm and went out the side door while my wife called the Sheriff. I had the two individuals spread out on the lawn at gun point by the time my neighbor also came over armed. Four more phone calls to the Sheriff were made over an hour plus before law enforcement arrived. The two perps had a record and were on parole for burglary and had knives, tools, rope and stolen goods in their vehicle.
    Several years later I joined the Sheriff Reserve and for many years had a Concealed Carry Permit. In 1986 during Christmas shopping at Fred Coop’s coin shop in the Central City Mall I purchased several gold coins for Christmas gifts. When I left the store two males were sitting on a planter outside of the coin store. I shopped at several other stores in the next hour, each time I came outside of a store the same two males were sitting outside the store. When I left the mall I saw the same two males behind me in the reflection of the exit door. Imagine the surprise they had when they opened the driver’s side door of my car and saw a Colt 357mag up close and personal. They took off running and I would guess they set a new world record in the 100 yard dash at the time.
    I own firearms for a number of reasons. First it is my “Civil Right”, second it is for the same reason I own a fire extinguisher “just in case I need it".
    Last edited by DEVOREFLYER; 07-21-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    In the early 1970’s my wife and I were awakened by a phone call by a neighbor after 2:00am. The neighbor had returned from the night shift at work and saw a vehicle parked in our private drive and two individuals in ski masks at the side yard of our home in his headlights. Needless to say I was on high alert and got a firearm and went out the side door while my wife called the Sheriff. I had the two individuals spread out on the lawn at gun point by the time my neighbor also came over armed. Four more phone calls to the Sheriff were made over an hour plus before law enforcement arrived. The two perps had a record and were on parole for burglary and had knives, tools, rope and stolen goods in their vehicle.
    Several years later I joined the Sheriff Reserve and for many years had a Concealed Carry Permit. In 1986 during Christmas shopping at Fred Coop’s coin shop in the Central City Mall I purchased several gold coins for Christmas gifts. When I left the store two males were sitting on a planter outside of the coin store. I shopped at several other stores in the next hour, each time I came outside of a store the same two males were sitting outside the store. When I left the mall I saw the same two males behind me in the reflection of the exit door. Imagine the surprise they had when they opened the driver’s side door of my car and saw a Colt 357mag up close and personal. They took off running and I would guess they set a new world record in the 100 yard dash at the time.
    I own firearms for a number of reasons. First it is my “Civil Right”, second it is for the same reason I own a fire extinguisher “just in case in need it”.
    Thats some real Dirty Harry S#$% right there!!

Don't forget,,, cause they are fun to shoot!! My #1 reason

Cutbait, they are fun indeed to shoot. Not saying how many and what kind I own but I have a 17HMR, 22 Short, 22 Long Rifle, 32 Cal, 38 Special, 357 Mag, 223/5.56 Nato, 25-06, 30 Carbine 8MM and a 12 Gauge. I no longer have a 25 ACP, 9 MM, 45 ACP, 44 Mag, 30-30, 300 Win Mag or 410 Gauge. I also enjoy reloading my own ammo. What is that "Critter" on your avator?

20 years ago I went through a seminar on executive protection for an international company I worked for. The items that can be used for personal protection and are common items and not a firearm were amazing. I never leave home without a knife or ballpoint pen just saying.
    Last edited by DEVOREFLYER; 07-21-2012 at 08:48 PM.

How is this a D vs R issue? And define "right Winger" for me please. You call the economy an irrelevant issue? That's the repubs platform. All I see your side doing is attempting one character assassination after another. One smear at a time eh? Talk about running on diversions. As far as this incident is concerned, how about going after what caused this loon to crack? How about telling the Hollywood, video, and the entertainment industries enough violence, is enough. How about putting the blame squarely on the decadence of society? I know plenty of democrats who own firearms, including my 4 brother in laws in Minnesota. All 4 are pro 2nd amendment. Oh come on, why don't you just come out and say it, it's George Bush's fault...
    Last edited by HawgZWylde; 07-21-2012 at 08:57 PM.

It's not name calling. It's calling out the facts. You should think before you speak. Your facts are faulty at best. They are also too numerous and nebulous to address sufficiently. The right wing is rather mushy with their 'facts', making it difficult to respond in an acceptable manner. They and you throw many 'facts' at once, which only confuses and obfuscates the real issues. It is a tactic used to defend indefensible positions.

Typical typical...

One other thing. Giving singular examples proves nothing except for the one instance cited. You think an example proves a broad statement of fact. Think, think, and think again.

Too many facts eh. I gave you a a you tube link and another link that had 215 footnotes with the facts. Is that too much of the facts for you to understand and many were government supplied statistics. Keep drinking the Koolaid!!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast