Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trout worms question!

Default Trout worms question!

Well catching fish isn't a problem for me while i am using the trout worms , but i like to C&R but when ever i catch a fish they always seem to swallow the worm -___- i lip hook some of them but most of the time they swallow it.... any advice on how to lip hook them more ? I can lip hook the crappie and bass , but its just the trout that im having trouble with .

Just try to keep full contact with your bait by raising your rod tip a lil so that you can set the hook as soon as you feel a bite. thats what I do and i always lip hook them.

Thanks ! ill see if that works for me sunday !

Quote Originally Posted by adriiiian View Post
    Just try to keep full contact with your bait by raising your rod tip a lil so that you can set the hook as soon as you feel a bite. thats what I do and i always lip hook them.
    x2

i was going to say just be more attentive to the bait. even if you give some slack as long as you set the hook immediately after the strike you should lip them

Crimp the barb on the hook down (barbless). If they swallow it you will not harm them in removing the hook and by paying attention to your line and drag you will not lose any either.

Thanks to all you guys !

I typically ds power worms and are in contact with the rod the whole time. Almost all of the time the trout/other fish will get lip hooked. If I just let it sit unattended, I usually have the same problem you have with them swallowing it.

will circle hooks do the trick?

I use hooks in size 8 to 16 for trout and have never seen circle hooks that small.

Step your game up and throw some jigs.....1/64-1/32 head....i recommend jigs since you like to a) fish artificals, b) C&R, and c) 99.9% of the time the fish is hooked in the lip. If u pinch the barb and have a pair of hemostats (pliers), theres no need to touch the fish or take him completely out of the water to release
    T-worms were the first presentation i caught a fish with, but now throwing those becomes a lil mundane...the tap tap tap using a t/w is nothing like the violent strike of a fish hitting your jig.

To give u more info, we will need to know how your fishing the worms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast