Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Trout Worms.... What works best?

Default Trout Worms.... What works best?

There seem to be so many diffent types of trout worm in the store
    I was wondering which ones you guys like, and how do you rigs them?
    I use berkeley gulp power worms. I put a split shot 2'before the smallest
    Hook I can find.

i have always done good with the the chartruse berkley power worms but after 1 fish sometimes they don't work anymore I'm not sure if they loose the scent or what but I always use them on a owner mosquito hook

If its the small DFG stockers, I use trout magnets or 1 inch tubes. If its a pay lake with bigger fish I tend to use atomic teasers and small crank baits.

It depends on the water.

In green or blue stained water, white, chartreuse, and grasshopper green work best

In muddy water stick to orange red and yellow, or black and browns.

In clear water you can use just about anything but I found pink works best for me.

The trout that survive the onslaught become fond of baitfish. That's when I start tossing spoons.

Watermelon Thomas buoyants work great try them!

Or of course simple chrome kastmasters.

Power worms are fine however there is a limited selection of colors.

Big triploids and tailwalkers will prefer slightly larger lures.

As stated the atomic teasers are great as they have more natural colors.

I can tell you what doesn't work. I ordered some stuff over the internet and included a couple packs of "lucky lady" worms. They smell fishy but the only was I catch anything with them is to cut them in half and attach them to a trout jig (like a home made atomic teaser).

For stocker trout clear tubes w flake worked all day long or also chartreuse trout magnets.

I've tried a bunch and I really don't think it matters much as presentation and placement. I got outfished by an old timer cut strips of yarn and a piece of aluminum foil so save your money and learn good fishing techniques instead.

I have had great success with the Berkley Power Worms and Nymphs. I rig them both the same way, drop shot with an Owner mosquito hook in black or red and nose hook them. I have not had much success with the split shot. I have just about every color and have caught fish on all the colors. If after a dozen or cast I don't get a hit, I just change colors. Presentation is more important than color and bait/lure selection. Sometimes you have to really slow down the action, or other times blazing fast retrieves. Pauses with or without a jerk or twitch. Zig zag your retrieve left to right and keep the rod tip low.

Tight lines!

I like Berkley trout worm in pink and orange. I've tried other's but berkley worms out fish the other brands for me. You will have different oppions. So buy a couple packs of each there's trout king worms and lip ripperz these seem to be the top three. good luck.

Have you seen that one informative trout worm page from fishinglakes.com? In case you haven't yet: http://www.fishinglakes.com/trout%20worms.htm Has great rigging examples and video of their action in the water.