Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Inflatable Yak for Sierras

Default Inflatable Yak for Sierras

Hi All,

I am leaving on Sunday for a week in the Eastern Sierras. I have decided at the last minute that I want to try and get an inflatable kayak for me to use on some of the smaller lakes. I have been looking for a porta-bote for the last few months, but have not been able to find something that will work for me.

I would like some recommendations on an inflatable kayak, that I can buy locally, and will work in the sierras. Looking for a yak that I can use by myself or with my son.

TIA for the suggestions!!!

Pete

I've been looking into inflatable yaks as well. This is probably the best one I've seen for the price.

Check this out on AMZN:

Sevylor Tahiti Fishing/Hunting Inflatable Kayak
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003652EQY/..._am_us?ie=UTF8

Thanks, looks like a good unit. I am leaving on Sunday, so buying from amazon is not an option right now. Wonder if BPS has anything good for sale, need to check them out.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by white belt View Post
    I've been looking into inflatable yaks as well. This is probably the best one I've seen for the price.

Check this out on AMZN:

Sevylor Tahiti Fishing/Hunting Inflatable Kayak
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003652EQY/..._am_us?ie=UTF8

I saw on Outcasts website they came out with on that you use first as a kayak but then like a float tube, theres foot rests and a cut out to dangle in front of you when fishing. Dont know how this could help you out but just to make you aware of what they have now

I would also look into the Alpacka Rafts... Lite weight and work great fpr deep back country fishing trips...

LINK

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alpacka-73-2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	36402

Peter, if budget and space permits it, I would go with a regular hard plastic kayak than an inflatable. If you are close to an REI, go in there and ask to look at the Emotion Kayaks. They are reasonably priced. Or go to a Dick's Sporting and go look at the kayaks. Sports Authority and Sport Chalet have kayaks too. BPS has the ascend models that are good. I'm bias and sold on kayaks so I would recommended it over an inflatable.

I agree with PvilleYaker, inflatable kayaks are alot slower and more work to paddle than a hard hull yak. You might also look at personal pontoons, my favorite for stability, portability, and ease of use. Not so bueno for two people though. Peace Ron
    Last edited by Ronira; 07-26-2012 at 06:36 AM.

West marine has some nice ones!

Just use a tube.