Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help identifying this fish!

Default Need help identifying this fish!

Hey guys,
    I was up in the sierras again last weekend, the 12-15th. I had a great time, but didn't find time to post a report when i got back. The fishing was great as usual. Fished Sabrina, Convict, Mary, and June. As we were leaving sunday, however, we decided to take the "Rovana" road exit off the 395 just north of Bishop. To be honest, I had never even seen this sign until this time. We were curious to see what was up there. We drove the road along the creep up to the trailhead to the lakes (I forget their Name). On the way down, we decided to stop at the creek. The creek is called pine creek I believe. i had no idea whether or not it was stocked, or even help catchable fish. It was pretty fast moving, but I found a spot with a decently deep pool to cast into. I worked a jig and got fish on my first 2 casts. We were in a rush, so after a few more with no luck, we hit the road again back home. At first i thought the fish were just pretty, natural rainbows. They were good size, probably average stocker size. However, looking back at the pics, they look to have a lot of color, more than most of the rainbows I've caught at back country lakes and such. Can somebody take a look at these and help me out a bit. thanks.

-Mr. Trout
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fishy sr..jpg 
Views:	1419 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	36357   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fishy.jpg 
Views:	1377 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	36358  

One is a brownie, the other is a bow...

Hard to see first one but looks to me like a native rainbow and second is a stocker..

They are both rainbows.

The trout on the left looks alot like a little kern golden trout.

Note the white tipped dorsal fin, which is a characteristic of that species.

Taking a closer look at the first one, the small black and red spots say Brownie, the mouth does not. The larger black spots on the lateral line and the golden color says Kern River rainbow and or Golden Trout, while other markings say Red Band. So in other words, I'm not sure. I've Googled this to death and the closest I've found are Brownies and goldens. How high up was this stream?

They both look like beautiful NATIVE rainbows

Quote Originally Posted by HawgZWylde View Post
    Taking a closer look at the first one, the small black and red spots say Brownie, the mouth does not. The larger black spots on the lateral line and the golden color says Kern River rainbow and or Golden Trout, while other markings say Red Band. So in other words, I'm not sure. I've Googled this to death and the closest I've found are Brownies and goldens. How high up was this stream?

sorry the pictures aren't great. They were both just taken with my phone. The creek is only about 5,000 feet up.

Both rainbows 100%. It's amazing how much fish differ in different areas. They even vary a lot within the same bodies of water. There are many reasons for this, mostly diet and immediate location. When you catch fish out of deep and dimly lit holes in a creek they tend to be very dark; as opposed to catching fish out of the open riffle where they are likely to be lighter in color. It's a really cool part of fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by sierratroutslaya View Post
    Both rainbows 100%. It's amazing how much fish differ in different areas. They even vary a lot within the same bodies of water. There are many reasons for this, mostly diet and immediate location. When you catch fish out of deep and dimly lit holes in a creek they tend to be very dark; as opposed to catching fish out of the open riffle where they are likely to be lighter in color. It's a really cool part of fishing.
    Thanks for the knowledge. Thats very interesting, and i've definitely never thought of that factor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast