Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Anchoring?

Default Anchoring?

I want to start renting boats @ some of my local lakes when I go fishing, Im not a pro @ all when it comes to boating. I like to flyline on the bottom of the lakes but my problem is I cant keep the boat from moving in all kinds of directions when I drop a anchor in the front and a anchor in the back. I thought it was as simple as just lowering each anchor over the side of the boat but I learned this weekend that there is more to it. Thanks for any info

depends on how deep you are anchoring. in 20' deep . i use 75' in front and 50' in back

I learned a lot from this website: https://elearning.boatus.org/

It's FREE to join and you take a class on boating. I know that you're only renting now, but it still is important to understand what's going on. This last trout season I personally saw 4 rental boats capsize due to poor seamanship (clueless operator). I took the class as soon a I was interested in getting my own boat and I learned a lot, even though I rented for a long time after the class. This is more for general boating knowledge.
    Rental boat anchors are usually not great to begin with. Most are just a block of concrete. Nothing to grasp the bottom so it'll slip around.

Not sure if you been helped. But you need about 10+' of chain on your anchor, then the rope. the reason, lets say you have the anchor that has the diggers on, the chain will drag along the bottom to make the anchor dig in. instead the rope pulling up on the anchor and not alowing it to catch.

Your first problem is rentals don't typicaly have decent anchors. You will have to bring your own.
    Two with 10 ft of chain. a lest 100ft & 150ft. If you want to anchor in DVL, or Castic lake for stripers then doubel the length.

KP