Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Corona 7/9-Entry fee price ridiculous

When I first started fishing SARL it cost $7 to get through the gates. There wasn't a Corona Lake, at least one that was open to fishing. Gas was about 90 cents a gallon, diesel was cheaper than that. They planted a lot of fish, just like they do now. I can't clearly remember but I think they had yet to buy the concession at Irvine Lake.
    We have been conditioned to expect dollar menus and 99-cent everything at Walmart. That's not real. Costs go up and with them, prices.
    If you want to buy fish, Albertson's has catfish fillets for about $5 per pound. Quick, easy, already cleaned and you can pick up a pound (and a bag of Louisiana Fish Fry) at 8 am, go play some cards and still have fish for dinner. If you prefer seeing your fish swimming, 99 Ranch Market has live catfish for about $7 per pound. Wanna know a secret about those fish?
    I hear (read "understand") everyone's issue with rising costs. I like to fish tuna, the longer the trip the better. Care to hazard a guess at costs to do that? My last trip was quite a while ago because I just can't justify the cost. I miss it terribly but I'm not crying over it. When I fish the local lakes I, too, rent a boat. In my opinion, the $3 increase in price is no big deal when compared to the overall cost of the trip. I'm paying for the lake to plant fish (which bite IF they want to and IF I do the right things after finding them), for the convenience of fishing close to home and for allowing me to enjoy my day (or half day) away from life's little tittie twisters.
    I have never been treated badly at SARL or Corona Lake, something I can't say about Irvine. And if I decide that any of them is too expensive for me to visit, then I will stop visiting them. If enough people do that, management may decide to lower the price back down and plant fewer fish to compensate.
    When all of this is said and done, who wants to bet me that when trout season rolls around, not only Irvine but Laguna Niguel as well will have $25 gate fees?
    Holy cow, I sounds like a grumpy old coot. I need to go fishing!
    Last edited by Marley; 07-10-2012 at 09:25 PM.

let supply and demand set itself. if the price increase works, it'll only benefit the fisherman;s in the long run...

more money== more cash flow== more stocking== better results

however, if no one pays to fish== less fish== worse results

so the economics will prove itself soon to come. if you dont want to fish there, go to irvine lake, however if u prefer corona and are willing to pay more, than that in itself speaks for itself

Quote Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post
    let supply and demand set itself. if the price increase works, it'll only benefit the fisherman;s in the long run...

more money== more cash flow== more stocking== better results

however, if no one pays to fish== less fish== worse results

so the economics will prove itself soon to come. if you dont want to fish there, go to irvine lake, however if u prefer corona and are willing to pay more, than that in itself speaks for itself
    I think you need to retake Economics. Your reasoning is off.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    When I first started fishing SARL it cost $7 to get through the gates. There wasn't a Corona Lake, at least one that was open to fishing. Gas was about 90 cents a gallon, diesel was cheaper than that. They planted a lot of fish, just like they do now. I can't clearly remember but I think they had yet to buy the concession at Irvine Lake.
    We have been conditioned to expect dollar menus and 99-cent everything at Walmart. That's not real. Costs go up and with them, prices.
    If you want to buy fish, Albertson's has catfish fillets for about $5 per pound. Quick, easy, already cleaned and you can pick up a pound (and a bag of Louisiana Fish Fry) at 8 am, go play some cards and still have fish for dinner. If you prefer seeing your fish swimming, 99 Ranch Market has live catfish for about $7 per pound. Wanna know a secret about those fish?
    I hear (read "understand") everyone's issue with rising costs. I like to fish tuna, the longer the trip the better. Care to hazard a guess at costs to do that? My last trip was quite a while ago because I just can't justify the cost. I miss it terribly but I'm not crying over it. When I fish the local lakes I, too, rent a boat. In my opinion, the $3 increase in price is no big deal when compared to the overall cost of the trip. I'm paying for the lake to plant fish (which bite IF they want to and IF I do the right things after finding them), for the convenience of fishing close to home and for allowing me to enjoy my day (or half day) away from life's little tittie twisters.
    I have never been treated badly at SARL or Corona Lake, something I can't say about Irvine. And if I decide that any of them is too expensive for me to visit, then I will stop visiting them. If enough people do that, management may decide to lower the price back down and plant fewer fish to compensate.
    When all of this is said and done, who wants to bet me that when trout season rolls around, not only Irvine but Laguna Niguel as well will have $25 gate fees?
    Holy cow, I sounds like a grumpy old coot. I need to go fishing!
    I respect your post. Just a couple comments. First, it's more than a $3 hike if you float tube. Your point of it not being that much is true....until you compound that if you fish more than once a week at Corona. Then it really adds up. That's how businesses "get" the consumer is the argument "Well, it's not THAT much more."

My point is exactly the last part of your post. If enough people don't go because of the rate hike, Corona will lower it and stock less fish. I think that needs to be done. The shores are dead. Business is slow. Time to make a change.

What happens when they keep stocking the same and people stop going? Raise the rates again for the few that do go?

At some point you have to do something different.
    Last edited by Surfnsnowboard3; 07-10-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfnsnowboard3 View Post
    I think you need to retake Economics. Your reasoning is off.
    How so? Seems right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post
    How so? Seems right to me.
    The variables are wrong. But I won't debate that on here cuz it's beside the point.

The variables are wrong. But I won't debate that on here cuz it's beside the point.
    Stop going..........Let them stock and stock and stock at 5 bucks a pound. If no one goes they have to lower their prices. Plenty of other places to fish that are MUCH cheaper.

I respect your post. Just a couple comments. First, it's more than a $3 hike if you float tube. Your point of it not being that much is true....until you compound that if you fish more than once a week at Corona. Then it really adds up. That's how businesses "get" the consumer is the argument "Well, it's not THAT much more."

My point is exactly the last part of your post. If enough people don't go because of the rate hike, Corona will lower it and stock less fish. I think that needs to be done.
    Surfnsnowboard3, if you are looking for lakes that stock a lot less fish and cost a few dollars less to fish, you have many lakes to choose from, so pick one and go. But we will NOT, begin skimping on our fish stocking over a few dollars. Fishermen want to catch fish when they come to our Lakes, so we will continue doing what we know works best, and that's to stock a lot of fish. We have always belived that it's better to explain price once, than to apologize about quality for life.

BTW, thank you for all the interesting business acumen you so generously provide...but we can take it from here.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinglakes.com View Post
    ...BTW, thank you for all the interesting business acumen you so generously provide...but we can take it from here...
    Sounds good. Just please, don't send us back to the days of OSI...

Pay the money to go to get away from the wife and kids..or dont pay and stay home with them. I mean its your choice why cry???? If you want to fish cheap why not head to the beach, puddingstone, santa fe dam, and or any other lake that has lower stocking rates and lower prices? It seems to me that your belly aching is just that you love going to this lake so much that you feel you have a right to cry about it...dont go someone will go in your place. I will gladly pay 25$ to get the hell out of my house and have a better chance of catching 1000 fish compared to a state park where I might have the chance to catch 100 fish. I hate SARL and I love SARL. Ive been skunked there the last 3 trips but I keep going back..why?? the challenge isnt that what fishing is all about? My 2 pennies.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast