Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Superman Sighting! NPH 7/22. 7/1 Recon on the S.W.A.T Vessel and 7/8 Ghost Hunt.

Smile Wingnut's response.

Quote Originally Posted by bachiboy View Post
    Sounds like good times with good friends...can't beat that. Didn't miss much in the surf this weekend, at least in my neck of the woods...nothing but 'junk' fish.

I can see it now...
    Arthur up in the sky strapped into that thing, his little superman rod in hand, trolling through the harbor!
    I haven't been in the surf for over a month Don, I miss it... even if I only catch "junk" fish, lol
    Hmmmmm... the things I can do with that jet jack...

Quote Originally Posted by Which Way Out View Post
    Good time either way guys. Thanks for sharing Arthur, its great to see you and your friends having fun.

BTW I saw that jet pac last Oct at Lake Havasu. Got some great video of him doing figure 8's in the channel.

WWO

Mikey catch Big Fish
    Having fun with friends, that's what it's all about.
    I'm still out of town Bill, I guess we missed to hot bite in Santa Barbara this week.

Quote Originally Posted by troublehook View Post
    Had a great time Sunday hanging out in the harbor with the guys. That Bat Ray was really fun to fight. Thanks for coaching me all the way Art. Let's do it again soon.
    I had a good laugh watching you struggle with that Bat Ray Sokha, they can really give you a run for the money. Only a 20 minute fight, but quite a work out huh?
    Marc (BSP) got your Phenix rod replaced, you should have it sometime this week.

Quote Originally Posted by PONTOON View Post
    Arthur, I had to laugh while we were texting back and forth. I knew you guys were going to be fishing the harbor until you didn't have any daylight left and I knew there was no way these guys were going to get off the freeway once you got rolling.

It sounded to me like there was plenty of fun being had by Good Friends and the fish catching part wasn't the main object of the day. I'm glad you all got into a few fish.......Just made the day that much more fun.

I'll see you at HG-4 if not sooner.
    Yeah Terry, we were pretty much wiped out. The boys wanted to stay out on the water until late... I was ready to call it, lol.
    We didn't do much catching but the company was awesome. Have a great week my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by olfishergal View Post
    I have only one thing to say (for now) WHERE'S MY DARN INVITATION!!!!!!
    You had an open invitation to the Hunting Giants event for the last three years Chris... Hopefully, you can make it this year.
    I got your PM, thanks... I'll send you a reply a little later, so busy lately...

Quote Originally Posted by Badbeat View Post
    I had an awesome time our there Arthur. Who cares if the bite wasn't all that great. Nobody got skunked and the company was second to none.
    Give me a call when you get back in town bro and let's do it again.
    I'll be back Friday night bro, I'll call ya... thinking about killing some Stripers this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    Arthur,

Great to read a trifecta of nice reports! From a personal best WSB to a myriad of harbor denizens, you definitely have had a solid few trips. That ghost is a beautiful fish, and that bite sounds like a fantastic time. The food shots are always great to look at too. It's been a long time since we've hit the sand my friend, and I'm looking forward to doing so soon.

Marc
    We need to get you on a big Ghost Marc, you're way overdue for one.
    Yeah, been too long since we hit the sand together. let's plan something soon...

Quote Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
    That was a blast, really makes me miss my boat, maybe it's time to shop for a replacement. Just don't tell Lauren.
    Thanks for the ride and hope to do it again. I'll see you at Hunting Giants 4.
    Send my best regards to your dad Arthur.
    Hope you do get another boat Phuong... make sure it's at least a 24 footer.
    Hey, you can tell Lauren that it's my boat and I'm just parking it there in your driveway.
    Dad is doing better, thank you my friend.
    Last edited by Wingnut; 07-30-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Thumbs up Brandon Hayward of W.O.N.

Brandon Hayward (Saltwater Editor for Western Outdoor News and Book Author) emailed me a few photos of him and the a couple of his biggest White Sea Bass from a bite he was on a couple of weeks ago at an undisclosed location.
    You da Man Brandon and thanks for the invite, I'll hit you up the next time I'm down in your neck of the woods!

Last edited by Wingnut; 07-31-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    [SIZE=3]
    Man those things are so big , as well as the ones the guys have been getting on the yaks, they remind me of tortuava from the sea of cortez...before they almost went extinct.

Awesome job out there on the ghosts lately!
    Last edited by bachiboy; 07-31-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Man those things are so big , as well as the ones the guys have been getting on the yaks, they remind me of tortuava from the sea of cortez...before they almost went extinct.

Awesome job out there on the ghosts lately!
    Don, 20 years or so ago I had one on for many hours. The fish dragged our 17 foot boat from Laguna Percibu nearly half way up to San Felipe. My best guess would put it at 7+ feet. We had it along side the boat and knew we couldn't gaff it, just wanted to get my Lure back. A very long story short, she rolled when we got into some shallow water and busted my 40 pound line.
    Mention it to an older gentleman working in a San Felipe fish market later that day. I told him it was 7'+ and he said "150 kilos".

We hooked another the next day, but broke off about an hour into the fight.
    The ones in the photo you show are babies.....

WWO

Don, 20 years or so ago I had one on for many hours. The fish dragged our 17 foot boat from Laguna Percibu nearly half way up to San Felipe. My best guess would put it at 7+ feet. We had it along side the boat and knew we couldn't gaff it, just wanted to get my Lure back. A very long story short, she rolled when we got into some shallow water and busted my 40 pound line.
    Mention it to an older gentleman working in a San Felipe fish market later that day. I told him it was 7'+ and he said "150 kilos".

We hooked another the next day, but broke off about an hour into the fight.
    The ones in the photo you show are babies.....

WWO
    Hey Bill, are we talking about White Sea Bass or Black Sea Bass?
    I think the world record WSB is something like 90 lbs.

Don, 20 years or so ago I had one on for many hours. The fish dragged our 17 foot boat from Laguna Percibu nearly half way up to San Felipe.

WWO
    Wow, that must have been one hell of an EPIC battle! Your one of only three people I've known to even tangle with one of those monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
    Hey Bill, are we talking about White Sea Bass or Black Sea Bass?
    Hey BW,

He's talking about tortuava. It's closely related to the WSB, but grows to dinosaur sizes. Like Bill said, the ones in the photo I put up there are just babies. They're mainly in the northern part of the Sea of Cortez and are now protected cuz they are VERY close to being wiped out. Because they look so similar, it can be easily mistaken for a WSB so people have to be careful of what they stick a gaff into. From what I've heard, and I don't care to know how they know this, the tortuava is supposed to taste even better than WSB.
    Last edited by bachiboy; 08-01-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Wow, that must have been one hell of an EPIC battle! Your one of only three people I've known to even tangle with one of those monsters.

Hey BW,

He's talking about tortuava. It's closely related to the WSB, but grows to dinosaur sizes. Like Bill said, the ones in the photo I put up there are just babies. They're mainly in the northern part of the Sea of Cortez and are now protected cuz they are VERY close to being wiped out. Because they look so similar, it can be easily mistaken for a WSB so people have to be careful of what they stick a gaff into. From what I've heard, and I don't care to know how they know this, the tortuava is supposed to taste even better than WSB.
    They do!!!!
    You can get it in San Felipe or El Golfo if you look hard enough. Old stomping grounds for me and my desert rats.

Don the real big difference is not only the size, but the tail. The tail is more rounded than the WSB tails. Other than that, I couldn't tell one from another. Well maybe by taste. But its been a long time, so maybe not.

Just another part of the story.
    3 adults in an 17 foot boat, a 3 foot long gaff. I have always wondered what we would of done with it had we tried to put it on the boat.

WWO
    .·´¯`·.><(((((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸>(((º>
    Last edited by Which Way Out; 08-01-2012 at 07:42 PM.

3 adults in an 17 foot boat, a 3 foot long gaff. I have always wondered what we would of done with it had we tried to put it on the boat.

WWO
    3 guys, undersized boat, undergunned, trying to capture a BIG fish....hmmm....JAWS!

3 guys, undersized boat, undergunned, trying to capture a BIG fish....hmmm....JAWS!
    No Kidding Don, except one was a girl LOL.

More of the story. The ride back was a 2 beer run.

WWO
    .·´¯`·.><(((((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸>(((º>
    Last edited by Which Way Out; 08-01-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456