Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Superman Sighting! NPH 7/22. 7/1 Recon on the S.W.A.T Vessel and 7/8 Ghost Hunt.

Red face Superman Sighting! NPH 7/22. 7/1 Recon on the S.W.A.T Vessel and 7/8 Ghost Hunt.

Report#1 – Sunday 7/1 S.W.A.T. Recon Mission on the Assault Vessel.

The bite in the surf has been a little off lately so I decided to take the S.W.A.T. Assault Vessel out for a spin last weekend. Taking it outside of the harbor for the first time to fish the local kelp beds and structures. Learning new things and getting prepared for bigger adventures.

My buddies Binh & Sokha will round out the 3-man crew for the morning session.

We started late and only stayed out until about noon. The fishing wasn’t great, even though the fish count was pretty decent, we didn’t catch anything really worthwhile. We mostly fished the kelp beds and ended the morning by making some bait to do a few drifts. I think in total we got about 15-20 Calico Bass up to 2 lbs, 5-6 Sand Bass, 2 short Barracuda, 4 short Halibut, 1 Sheephead, 3-4 assorted Rock Fish. No pics and all released. What we really wanted was some legal Halibut and/or White Sea Bass.

Special thanks to my S.W.A.T. brother JerryG for sending me detailed maps of the area and sharing some great intel of the location.

Binh & Sokha, always a pleasure fishing with you two, see ya soon!

“Born again? No, I got it right the first time…”

Here are some pics of the short session.

This Masked Bandit was hanging around the launch ramp and trying to steal a ride, lol.

Binh (Badbeat) and myself.

Heading out…

Sokha (Troublehook)

Heading back…

Extras…

Bonus pics…
    A few surf session photos.

Another shot of Albert’s (jinbow) toad surf Calico Bass.

JerryG’s nice surf Sand Bass.

The Man himself.

We ran into Frank (iLLest) out on the battlefield a couple of weeks ago.

An enemy spy. Following us up and down the beach, lol.

My surf weapons of choice.

Report#2 – Sunday 7/8 S.W.A.T. Ghost Hunt with Master Yoda.

While I was working on Saturday, I get a picture text from Bill (Which Way Out) showing a bunch of mega-sized White Sea Bass lying on the deck of Mikey’s (Exfactor) boat. Bill had to add the sarcastic comment of “Wish you were here…”
    It turned out that Master Yoda has found a large concentration of Squid and where there are Squid there are Ghosts. Mikey & Bill had their 6-fish limit of WSB up to 40 lbs plus by 1:00pm!

Check out his report by clicking this link, http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...BIG-OR-GO-HOME

About 11:00pm that night I get a call from Yoda himself. Here’s how the conversation went…

Exfactor: What are you doing tomorrow?

Wingnut: Church in the morning and going to Westminster with the Iron Chef…

Exfactor: Skip church, ask for forgiveness and cancel your plans, you’re coming up here tomorrow… it’s time!

Wingnut: Uhhh… let me ask the Boss first… “Honey, can I go fishing tomorrow? Mikey guarantees that I will bring home some fish for you…

Iron Chef: You better! Okay, have fun…

Wingnut: Did you hear that Mikey? I’m in… what time you want me at your front door and what do you need me to bring?

Exfactor: 4:45am… I got all the gear you need, just bring a big ice chest…

I pull up in front of Mikey’s house at a quarter till five and I see Bill (WWO) unloading the gear from his Jeep and Mikey packing up his truck.
    The plan was for 5 anglers to head out in two separate boats to the Ghost hunting grounds. Bill would be on George’s (Mikey’s friend) boat and Mikey & I will fish on Jerry’s boat, also a friend of Mikey’s. You see, Mikey have many friends with boats up here and don’t even need to take out his own boat, lol.

After gassing up the vessels and got some supplies, we headed for the Santa Barbara Harbor launch ramp and off into the grey light we went.
    Jerry’s 24’ fish killing machine “Cabo”

Out on the WSB hunting grounds and passing off some gear to George & Bill.

George and Bill ready for action.

First order of business, make some bait… and so we did, hundreds of pieces of Squid. They were everywhere!

You catch the strangest stuff when making bait, here are a few species. Also caught Wrasse, Lizard Fish, Sand Dabs among other things…

Is this a juvenile Calico Bass?

Mikey was the first to hook up…

Love the way Mikey fight the fish… like sitting on his couch at home, lol.

Big Soup Fin Shark.

Released.

I got the next two hook ups… big and strong fish. Mikey says that it was the right kind. After extensive battle with each, they both bit me off on 30 lb test line.
    Two strikes already and it's still early...

Mikey looked at the graph and said that the fish were running just below the surface. So we fly lined a couple of squid out there and then Mikey showed me something that I've never even considered for saltwater fishing. Just to show that he's the man when it comes to adapting to all kinds of situations. He rigged up a couple of rigs for us with a Squid under a bobber. I was like, uh okay... I haven't fished with a bobber since I was like 10 years old fishing for Blue Gills. But it was deadly as we soon found out.

Jerry was next to hook up.

A nice Ghost comes to color and breaks the surface. See the bobber in this pic.

Gaffed!

Nice fish for Jerry!

Sitting on strike two… I swung on the next pitch and connected.

I’ve been wanting to take revenge on some big Ghosts since getting smoked in the surf by a couple of monster Ghosts that crossed the water column a few weeks ago.
    Here is my chance…
    I fought this fish on #20 line for what seems like an eternity. Took me around the boat a couple of times, Mikey was directing me around the anchor, a back & forth drawn out battle… I finally got it close enough to the boat to show color and we could see that it was a quality size WSB. A short while later I had it next to the boat ready for the gaff… this part is too funny, and surprised the heck out of me… I look over at Mikey expecting him to send the gaff down at the fish, but instead, he extended his arm towards me with the gaff and said, “Here, finish it…!”

Whaaaa…??? I was kinda shell-shocked there for a moment and instinctively, grabbed the gaff out of Mikey’s hand. On my first try, stuck it solidly into the fish, dropped the rod that was in my other hand, grabbed the gaff with both hands and hoisted the fish on board. My PB Ghost 52” in the 40 lbs plus class. Revenge is sweet!

This one's for you Dana.

In the meantime, George and Bill on the second boat were having their hands full fighting Ghosts of their own… they had at least a couple on the deck. It was a blast catching these fish in close proximity with each other and yelling and cheering each other on as we were battling these monster fish.

Jerry had a prior engagement so we had to bug out early and head back to the harbor by 1:00pm. I know that we left them biting as George & Bill and a couple of Mikey’s friends out there continued to tear them up after we left the area.
    I got what I came for… one big WSB and that’s all I needed.

Mikey & I enjoying the relaxing ride back to the harbor.

Stearns Wharf.

Obi Wan Kenobi and Master Yoda.

Loading up to go home…

Sweet boat, matches my Carrot Stix, lol. Maybe someday, I’ll upgrade.

Back at Jerry's house.

Mikey was kind enough to fillet our catch at his house.

Massive fillets.

White Sea Bass stone.

We had enough Squid left over for all of us to take a huge bag home.
    I’m going to have the Iron Chef whip me up some fried Calamari as an appetizer to the White Sea Bass dish.

Jerry, really nice meeting you sir and thank you for having me as a guest on your boat. Congrats on the PB White Sea Bass and looking forward to fishing with you again soon.

Bill & George, that was great being with shouting distance of each other as we were fighting those fish.
    Bill
    , for someone who is supposed to be “uncoachable”, you certainly showed that you can hang with the best of them. Isn’t it funny how these fish can turn us all into teenagers again? I personally had a great time catching them, but the time I spent out there with you guys is the true blessing.

Mikey, what can I say… you are the MAN. You talk the talk and walk the walk. You were the first to locate this bite and shared it with us. Don’t think that I don’t notice, but you care more about our happiness than you do about your own. I know that you intentionally pass on grabbing some rods because you wanted us to catch the fish. So unselfish in your ways, no wonder the Fish Gods smiles upon you. Thank you for making easy for me… I pretty much showed up and followed your lead all morning. To me, you’re not only a legend in the Santa Barbara area, but everywhere else as far as I’m concern. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and experience with me and most of all for your friendship.

Until we meet again… have a great week everybody.

Arthur (Wingnut)

“What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others…”

Parting Shot.
    What? White Sea Bass?? Did I hear somebody say White Sea Bass?!?

Last edited by Wingnut; 07-31-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Adding Bonus Report.

Arthur,

Can't wait to see the ghost report!!! I missed you guys on the launch ramp at Cabrillo by 15 minutes heading out AND coming back in!!! Wind picked up pretty bad out there and the bite pretty much shut down in the afternoon anyway.

Hope to be able to meet up with you guys on the surf sometimes before my summer break is over. ;)

Andrew

Well, I'll fill in some of the time waiting for Report#2 with this offering... Kind of like the trailers before the main feature..

My boy, Aaron, and I found these two on the backside of Anacapa, July 3, aboard the 'Aloha Spirit'.. Fair bite in morning.. great bite early afternoon.. 22 anglers....25 Ghosts... The two largest (to 48lbs.) were part of a stringer of four caught by the only woman (Mary) on board... Custom lavender/pink rods, etc... She was the only one using 8oz., 5/0, hugging tight to the bottom.. We were using 6oz., which was plenty, but were three turns off the bottom to avoid the bats....mistake..
    Great day, great boat, great son..

Awesome ride you have there Arthur. Beautiful Ghosts Sid....
    Good times for sure. Can't wait for the pics of the Big Girls in Part 2.........

Arthur when you drove up Sunday morning, in the super stealth assault vehicle I was shocked.
    Mike was kind enough not to call and wake me up. Tnx Yoda... I needed the rest big time...

Well, Mike in all his morning splendor, explained the program for the day and we were off.

After the Sat. Mikey and I had, we knew we were going into battle. The troops were called in and the attack was on. Big Gear or go home was the order of the day.
    Your not kidding when you said it was fun fishing close to the other boats and yelling hook up and "Salmon" Yea I heard it!!!!!

Well I will close by saying it was a blast and Congrats to you, Jerry and Mikey.

FYI- I have posted Sat. events in the Saltwater section as well as our part of Sunday. So click on over in to see and read even more of the Epic weekend.

WWO
    Last edited by Which Way Out; 07-09-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Hi Ya Wingnut,

First of all my friend..... "CONGRATULATIONS"! When you get even......YOU REALLY GET EVEN!!

What an awesome report Arthur! You had me smiling during the entire read!

It was so much fun for me to read about the adventure that you shared with Mikey, Bill, Jerry and George!
    Definitely...good friends sharing good times!

Now......THAT'S ONE MONSTROUS WHITE SEA BASS! I'll bet the "Iron Chef" has BIG plans for that bounty of yours.....eh!! HMMM!

Arthur.....thanx for the fantastic read with pic's and also the PRE-POST text!

SP Dan <"))><

PS......Luv'd the trailer Sid! Maybe ....you should start thinking .....lavender/pink ....ha ha ha ....just a thought!
    Last edited by SP Dan; 07-09-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Nice read. Thanks for the report WN and keep up the great work

What an insane day fishing the Tankers guys when Arthur! Congratulations on the seabass guys! When I received your text message that the guys had 6 on the boat on Saturday I was in La Jolla on my Kayak chasing the exotics which I spent 7:30 am to 10:30pm on the water trying to target the exotics for the for a big skunkaroo no fish were hanging on the LJ squid. I was actually thinking of packing up and heading up north to continue my mission but with 2 hours of sleep the night prior, 15 hours + on the water, a 4 1/2 hour drive round trip solo my brain and body was fried. I am going to have to call in sick from work this Friday to get out there before the fish disappears.

I can hear Vin Scully now..."Arthur has really had a run of bad luck lately with the long ball. Here's the 0-2 pitch...and it's a deep drive to straight away centerfield, a WAY back, and this ball is GONE!"

Holy poltergeists Batman! What a beast Arthur! Congratulations! And way to go Mikey getting those guys on fish. Sounds like you guys had your hands full out there. I know guys have used balloons on those suspended fish down in La Jolla but the bobbers might be a little more stealthy. I've been waiting to hear this story since I got your text yesterday. Not sure if you're into wearing jewelry Arthur, but you can have that headstone polished and made into a charm and hung from a chain. It really looks awesome after it's polished and they can use a clasp/holder to attach to the stone so they won't have to drill into it. Most jewelers should know how.

Great job on getting your ghosts Sid. You may not have got the most or the biggest, but it's always nice to score!

Congrats to all you guys!
    Don

PS - Looks like that soupfin is shouting some parting obscenities at you guys!
    Last edited by bachiboy; 07-09-2012 at 07:23 PM.

Holy crap, that white sea bass is huge.
    Phuong was telling me about at work this morning. His family and mine camped out at lake San Antonio for 3 days over the 4th of July and didn't catch a dam thing. Can't wait to see some food pics from the iron chef.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast