Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Central Cali WSB limit!!! 7/28 on the yak

Default Central Cali WSB limit!!! 7/28 on the yak

Fished with Jonathan (toadstoadsonly) a couple weeks ago up north and watched him catch a couple pigs while I did some long distance catch and releases-farmed more than I'd care to admit...

Eager to get my revenge and unable to go out last weekend, I headed up solo early Saturday and launched at gray light. Short peddle to the squid grounds and made some squid and had lines in the water a little after 6am.

Got picked up on a fly lined squid around 6:30 and farmed it, frustrated but determined I set my lines out again. Not 5 minutes goes by and I'm picked up again and put the steel to it. After a 15 minute sleigh ride I gaff a nice WSB (not sure on the weight, I'll get to that later).

Retie and peddle back to the area toss out my bait and within 10 seconds I'm on again! This one put up a bit more of a fight and after about 20 minutes I sink the gaff into a NICE pig! STOKED! My first time landing multiple WSB on the kayak! Took a picture of both fish-one fish on my lap and one fish under my legs and shot out some texts-hahaha!

Relaxed for a bit and cracked a beer and watched some others get pulled around, what an amazing day! Met another kayaker-Marco-and he took a picture of me with the biggest fish-thanks if you're reading this!

After a bit, I retied and peddled back to the area and the bite slowed down a bit. Hung around for a couple hours waiting to fill my limit and got picked up but broke off-felt like a big fish but oh well, I already had 2 and was smiling ear to ear. Retied and about 10 minutes goes by and I'm on again and stuck another pig. AMAZING!

Now I had a unique problem, where do I put all of these fish??? Well, I ended up tying them off and dragged them in. Marco, who I had met earlier was on the beach already and helped me on the landing-thanks again! Everything went fine it seemed and jumped into the water and noticed the line snapped holding the fish. I was able to grab the other end of the rope but only had 2 fish on there. We searched the surf thinking it would wash up but it never did-waited over an hour but never did come in. Felt bad but at least it was the smallest of the 3.

Hopefully the pics come out, all taken on cell phone camera. The biggest was a little over 53 inches and 52lbs on the bathroom scale and the other was just over 50 inches and 46lbs. Can't wait to get back out!

Thanks Jonathan for the intel and thanks to the SWAT crew for relaying the info to Jonathan!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wsb 50-2.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	36542Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wsb 53in.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	36543Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wsb 7-28 beach.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	36544Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wsb 7-28 kayak.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	36545Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wsb early am 7-28.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	36546

Thumbs up Nice!

Awesome, Jonathan was telling me about your session.
    If the guy that you met is the same Marco that I know, he's cool people. Usually see him with a spear gun in his hand.
    Congrats on the Ghost limit and don't worry about the one lost fish... Poseidon is just taking his percentage of the catch.

Congrats Jim, when I heard my phone go off in the morning I already knew you got into them good. You truly put in the work and those fish are well deserved, Solo mission trips are never easy, especially dragging almost 100lbs of fish up the hill, so whats up you going to take a day off this week and we will go slay them again? I just caught my limit yesterday and I am still itching to take a day off and go slay them again.

Great report Jim.

Congrats on getting into the bite as well. Its hard to imagine the fish are still hanging around.
    The squid boats were out there last week and worked it over pretty well.

WWO
    Last edited by Which Way Out; 07-30-2012 at 07:27 PM.

YOU GUYS ARE ANIMALS!!! I love it. Way to go on your sleigh-ride limits. Sounds like a lifetime of fun out there.

Thanks for the read and pictures...and CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    Don
    Last edited by bachiboy; 07-30-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Man you guys are killing that area! Good to see "cen-cal" getting action... Nothing like a Pismo slay!

Wow man! Congrats on the nice catches!

I need to go get a kayak and get out on the open water Looks like a blast!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Arthur, I don't mind giving Poseidon his cut when the fishing is like it was on Saturday! Hopefully it washed up around high tide and someone got a nice surprise dinner-I told a bunch of people on the shore to keep an eye out for it. If not, the crabs are going to be feasting on some good eats! hahaha!

Jonathan, man I wish I could take a day off this week but way too much going on at work...you're not kidding on how tough it is dragging those pigs up the hill, almost threw up again from exhaustion! hahaha! Don't think I could have carried the extra fish.

Im jealous!!!!!!!!! Congrats on the pigs!!!!!!

One word for this report, WOW!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast