Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: First time (catching fish at the surf)

Default First time (catching fish at the surf)

went out fishing the surf at Ventura beach, first 2 hours nothing but sea weed and crabs but then all the sudden tide started to shift and every cast was money!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	535053_3989193019827_1439345586_n.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	36167   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	securedownload (1).jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	36166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	securedownload.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	36165  

Sounds like you had a good time. When you say, "nothing but...crabs," I would take that as the perfect opportunity to harvest some bait. My first 5 outings were a bust, then I started reading the tide tables and solunar tables. Now, I don't waste a whole lot of time guessing when the best time to catch is. Try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by skunked4life View Post
    Sounds like you had a good time. When you say, "nothing but...crabs," I would take that as the perfect opportunity to harvest some bait. My first 5 outings were a bust, then I started reading the tide tables and solunar tables. Now, I don't waste a whole lot of time guessing when the best time to catch is. Try it out.
    thanks for the tip i tried reading the wave chart goes over my head,
    i did have a very good time.. still new to the surf scene but getting a hang of it going to san Diego next week end any one know any good spot for surf fishing?

Hi ya lostfisherman,

Welcome to surf fishing and to our FNN family site!

I always try to remember or write down the conditions, the tides and the time of day the fish start biting along with what bait I was using. Also get your self a measuring tape and a camera....to document your catches!

Also, I agree with skunked4life's suggestions to you, very sound advice to follow.

One more thing....learn your beaches....some beaches fish better when drained....while other beaches fish better when flooded.
    I've hooked into a Striped Bass at one particular beach while the tide was at 1.8 ft and three weeks later at that very same beach when the tide was at 6 ft plus! Go figure !! Most of the time it's a guess.

Added Note: Use all the INTEL available to you...make your best educated guess....and always....always....follow you gut! Good luck!

Good luck out there and keep your reports coming! Tight lines!

SP Dan <"))><
    Last edited by SP Dan; 07-09-2012 at 04:59 AM.