Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Santa Monica Beach Surf Fishing 7/6/12

Default Santa Monica Beach Surf Fishing 7/6/12

Arrived at the beach at about 6pm with dismay and a heavy heart. The waves were pounding the shoreline as kelp and other unwanted objects began to pile up along the bank. The wind was also extremly strong making casting light weight equipment difficult as it would fly back to your face. Well I started with the Carolina rig (first time using it) and pinned on a pileworm or blood worm (not sure which one is which). Turns out 1/2 ounce wasn't enough. Looking into my tackle box I was like AH HELL! I pinned on 7 1/2 ounce sliding sinkers onto my line and chucked that bait far. INSTANT BITE. I then went to my friends who were just beginning the sport of fishing and rigged them up too. In the end we came out with about 15 Surf Perch, 1 Corbina, what seems to have been a white sea bass that was stuck in some kelp before breaking off, and about a dozen or so Sharks (all released). We also tried some Motor Colored Grubs and Big Hammer Swimbait's multiple colors. Nope. Best bet is at least 3 ounces of weight and pile or blood worm. Good Luck and Have Fun!

Hi ya MasterFisherYY,

You hung in there in the harsh conditions, you adjusted your gear accordingly, you helped out your buddies as far as getting them and their gear on the bite and all of you beached quite a nice variety of fish as a result of your good efforts! WTG! Good times experienced by all!

I was happy to hear that you shared in our thoughts and exercise CPR (Catch, Photo, Release) along with us....thank you!
    Now.... That's Just Good Karma!

Thanx for the fish report with pic's! Tight lines!

SP Dan <"))><

"A dozen or so Sharks" ???

You mean rays or Leo's

Like Dan said, way to go overcoming those harsh conditions! Nice collection of fish for the day!

Don