Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I An A-hole???

Default Am I An A-hole???

I live in Hollywood where I have learned that most of the guys that live here couldn't screw in a light bulb if their lives depended on it & over the past few years more than a few of my wife's married girlfriends have tried to get me to become their personal handyman (I'm a general contractor). In the beginning I felt bad and would go out of my way (just driving to and from their homes could take as long as 2 hours with LA traffic) to hang a mirror or mount a TV etc and it was usually a "Thank you" I got for burning a couple gallons of gas and having to drive across town. But as soon as I did one thing for them they began to call more and more frequently with other "honey-do" things around their house. I finally had to tell them as nicely as I could that I was either too busy or that I would lend them the tools they needed to do whatever but that I just didn't have the time, not to mention I have my own 2 page long honey-do list.

Anyway, a couple months ago my wife and I are out to dinner with these two couples in particular. One couple has a 5 year old boy and the other has two boys aged 2 and 5. After one of them asked about how my most recent fishing trip went both of my wife's girlfriends decided to ask me another favor and it went like this... "Hey you know what would be great? If you took the boys camping and fishing with you sometime!" Immediately the husbands chimed in with, "YEAH! That would be awesome, we'd have so much fun! You could show them how to set-up a tent, how to fish etc....". Now I don't want to sound like an a-hole but.... My wife and I don't have kids... I like kids fine but we choose not to have any at least not right now. Now I don't know about you guys but as much as I'd like to have my own son and take him fishing one day, having someone dump their kids off on me to do the things their father should be doing (my opinion) doesn't sound like fun to me. I'm no scout leader and my fishing/camping trips are definitely not 'G' rated trips for kids. Not to mention when I go on my trips a big part of going is to get away from things like kids, horns, sirens, & people in general.... If one day I have a son or daughter I definitely plan on exposing them to such things like fishing, hiking, camping etc. But knowing these kids it will quickly turn into a trip of nothing but crying, complaining, constantly having to say things like "get off that rock, stay away from the river, put the rattlesnake down". Basically not my idea of a fun relaxing trip (I have a hard enough time keeping after my dog when she comes with me). I plan these trips, I pack heavily for them, I bring lots off beer, Jack and sometimes a little 420. Things these couples are not into and would not want their kids around... Are any of you gettin' my point yet???? My wife put me on a little guilt trip after I discussed this with her but she understands my position. What do you guys think and has anyone ever dealt with anything similar? I was thinking about finding a summer camp or something similar that they could send their kids to???
    Last edited by fishing_addict; 06-30-2012 at 12:47 PM.

No you are not... I totally see where you are coming from.

A-hole for sure! "Put the rattlesnake down" ha, that cracked me up. I wouldn't want to take someone else's kids either, I don't blame you...

i just recently6 had the pleasure of taking a kid fishing for the first time i think i had more fun than he did although i do get your point. give this a chance you just mighhtr5 find this very rewarding. you can always do another trip to drink beer and smoke a little bude.l but to have the chance to teach a kid abouyt this sport is something you dont waqnt to miss.just think what if the person who taught you about fishing said screw it i want to party instead.do you think you would b3e fishing today.its like paying it forward. think about it5 i promise you you will be rewarded a thousand times over for doingt it.

it would be much worse for their fathers if the trip went well and as they get older they only have stories of the outdoors with someone other than their dad,
    dude i would recommend the Boy scouts/girl scouts. Give them the website and don't feel bad sounds like you've done enough already. I feel ya bro

Yep – you are going to be an ahole. I take kids fishing all the time – lots of fun. But I also like fishing by myself & friends.

You could be a hero to the kids since their dads can’t fish. Might be getting them hooked on the fishing instead of the drugs (the wrong kind).

Next time Perris (or any lake) has a kid day – take them all fishing. The dads and kids can learn at the same time and you can bail anytime you want. Then you won’t be an ahole.

So what little bit of guilt I had has all but vanished. Couple other things I thought of... If it were my kids I could get as harsh as I needed to if having to discipline them etc.... I'm not gonna have that freedom with someone else's kids. Not to mention I'll have to be helping the fathers as well since both of them have absolutely no outdoor experience what so ever. So basically a trip of this type would be nothing but me doing all the work for everyone involved, fathers included!!! PLUS, I would have to supply all the gear since no one owns fishing gear, tents, sleeping bags, etc. Sounds like I would get zero time to fish, zero time to relax, zero time to enjoy myself... Again, if it were my kids it would be a totally different story. One other thing I forgot to mention, one of the fathers has a phobia of fish, he couldn't even go snorkeling with his wife on their honeymoon.... That would be like taking a kid terrified of clowns to the circus. Thanks guys....
    Last edited by fishing_addict; 06-30-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by d1LedHed View Post
    Yep – you are going to be an ahole. I take kids fishing all the time – lots of fun. But I also like fishing by myself & friends.

You could be a hero to the kids since their dads can’t fish. Might be getting them hooked on the fishing instead of the drugs (the wrong kind).

Next time Perris (or any lake) has a kid day – take them all fishing. The dads and kids can learn at the same time and you can bail anytime you want. Then you won’t be an ahole.
    I should just give them your number??? You guys could have a blast! Just kidding....

ok the dad has a phobia of fish. so then who going to teach this kid about the greatest5 sport in the world. and who says you have to go campingt just take them to a local park lake for the day then you have the rest of the weekend to p[ound beers and smoke your bud.

Rule number one....never ask a question that you really don't want to know the answer.

2-Yeah, you're pretty much a selfish Ahole. That's your prerogative though and it is unreasonable for your wife to suggest that you are doing something wrong by not wanting to participate. Doesn't sound like you'll be having to worry about dealing with kids anytime soon. Some folks are just not meant to be teachers and mentors. Nothing to be ashamed of. You are at least very honest with yourself and who you are. Stick to your guns.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast