Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Rod to pair with Abu Garcia C4 casting reel

Default Rod to pair with Abu Garcia C4 casting reel

I wanted to get a versatile casting setup...I mainly go for cats, but am looking into going after bass as well, possibly stripers at Silverwood. I went for the C4 to get a nice casting, all around reel that has a bit more line capacity than a low profile casting reel. This may also double as a backup saltwater reel until I have more cash for a dedicated saltwater casting setup (I have a nice saltwater spinning setup - so lower priority right now).

For cats and stripers - what rod would you pair with the C4? I've got a 6ft medium action right now in my garage paired with my low profile casting real...but I'd like to run heavier line to hunt for the big cats so I was thinking a medium-heavy action?

What do you guys think?

I have a c3 and paired it with a shakespeare 2 piece catfish rod.

What's your budget?

Cruz,

A shakespeare ugly stick would save you some cash and match great with that reel. Look at models CAL 1100 70 1PC or the CAL 1101 70 1PC.

Does Shakespeare make different quality ugly sticks? I saw a few for $10 at walmart the other day. Not too familiar with their quality. They had the baitcasting ugly sticks for $10 and some spinning ugly for $7.. Was hesitant to buy them cuz i didn't want any extra junk lying around in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Webfoot View Post
    Cruz,

A shakespeare ugly stick would save you some cash and match great with that reel. Look at models CAL 1100 70 1PC or the CAL 1101 70 1PC.

These models are both 1 piece freshwater baitcast rods. The 1100 is a medium strength and rated for 8-20 lb. The 1101 70 is medium heavy and rated for 10-25lb. I have used these models for catfish, stripers, and inshore saltwater fishing. Check shakespeares website for further info. Good luck with you purchase.

i have a couple of ugly sticks and like them so i may lean that way ...my budget is $50. i do wanna try to get a 2pc rod though. is there any reason not to get a 2pc? that is what most of our family's collection of rod are and they work ok