Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Nanofil for UL...verdict?

Default Nanofil for UL...verdict?

Just did a search and the last discussion Nanofil was in August 2011. So it's almost a year later.

Would love to hear more comments about your experiences on Nanofil for UL.

For example:
    1. What test do you use?

2. Does the visibility impact strike rates? (I'm assuming it does for trout.)

3. Do you use any of the low vis green? Better strike rate?

etc.

UL

I tried the 2 pound for stream fishing. The stuff almost casts TOO good. But the issue I was having was break offs at the knot. And I was using their recommended knot, as well as trying multiple others. I had 6" fish break me off, lol. I put the stuff back on the spool and returned it, lol.

I use the white 8lb for bass, and 4lb for panfish and trout. I almost always tie on a flouro leader because I think the white color is pretty visible. Once I tried using the 4lb directly tied to my lures, and it did seem like I saw a reduced number of strikes.

The advantages over mono is that it casts fantastically, and reduced problems with line twist.

But knot strength is a problem, though. I use a double palomar for direct, and a double uni knot for leaders. I noticed that sometimes I'll tie a knot and test it, and it will break amazingly easily (less than a pound of pressure), but then tie the exact same knot again, and it will be full-strength. I think it depends on how the loops in the knot lay over each other, which is impossible to control since the line is so thin. Also, it seems to fray easily.

Bottom line: it's a nice line, but a hassle to use, and next time I'll either go back to mono, or perhaps try the powerpro slick.

i put this line on my ci4 and it was smooth. BUT!!! its visible under water so no strikes until i put on a leader. I took it off and now is sitting in my closet!

It has great cast ability by regardless it needs a leader. Super easy to do just tie the double uni and a couple cranks of he reel and you're ready to fish. It still has the sensitivity and everything

The problem with leaders is a knot. I build my rods to use micro guides - size 3 - so they are tiny. I've always thought the knot will greatly reduce my casting range with 1/32 oz jigs which as so light to being with.... Anyone tried thse with leaders and micro guides?

THANKS for all the comments.

As to visibility, I hope to try the low viz nanofil to see if it helps a bit.

UL

It is harder with the microguides I too used a rod with them ( don't necessarily know the specific size). And found that you have to cinch the knot down as far as it will go with the tag ends on and then clip tag ends real close and tug to see if it would break. Even then the knot would still get stuck in the top guide every now and then

Thanks for the comments. Too bad on that but its good to get confirmation. I wonder if the nanofil will work better on reaction strikes such as metal spoons and other lures where perhaps line visibility may not be as big a deal. just speculating - no idea. I do like their casting distance and sensitivity.

UL

Quote Originally Posted by Frequent Flyer View Post
    It is harder with the microguides I too used a rod with them ( don't necessarily know the specific size). And found that you have to cinch the knot down as far as it will go with the tag ends on and then clip tag ends real close and tug to see if it would break. Even then the knot would still get stuck in the top guide every now and then

I got a free spool of 4lb test in the white, and like everyone else its off the reel and my wife uses it for the garden now.