Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Catfish limits

Default Catfish limits

My question is this. One this page http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/Fr...5_10-5_15.html it says that all bodies of southern district not listed below in their list the catfish limit is 10. So my question is, since orange county isn't on the list, will that make the catfish limit 10?

thanks.

Yes the way that section reads 10 is the limit unless otherwise noted.

But private waters are not part of DFG regulations so if you are at say Irvine Lake they make their own regulations up.
    Last edited by seal; 06-26-2012 at 08:12 AM.

But private waters are not part of DFG regulations so if you are at say Irvine Lake they make their own regulations up.[/QUOTE]

That's not entirely true, Seal. Unless the lake is completely surrounded by private property, AND is not part of any incoming water system (stream, creek, river, etc), the state fishing regulations apply. For example, a golf course lake on private property with no incoming state waters is exempt from state fishing regs. But a private lake (Arrowhead, Canyon, Vail) all have incoming state waters, so the regs are applied there.
    Some lakes, like Irvine and Corona, operate under a state "aquaculture permit", which means they don't require a fishing license there. They also have a more restrictive "take" on fish species. That is allowed under the permit, which is granted by the DFG. The permit is required because the waters are still waters of the state, although the land is private property. Sounds confusing, but it's really not if you think about it. And remember, all wildlife, fish included, belong to the people of the state, not private landowners.

So OC city park lakes have a 10 catfish limit...?

Quote Originally Posted by RTG View Post
    That's not entirely true, Seal. Unless the lake is completely surrounded by private property, AND is not part of any incoming water system (stream, creek, river, etc), the state fishing regulations apply. For example, a golf course lake on private property with no incoming state waters is exempt from state fishing regs. But a private lake (Arrowhead, Canyon, Vail) all have incoming state waters, so the regs are applied there.
    Some lakes, like Irvine and Corona, operate under a state "aquaculture permit", which means they don't require a fishing license there. They also have a more restrictive "take" on fish species. That is allowed under the permit, which is granted by the DFG. The permit is required because the waters are still waters of the state, although the land is private property. Sounds confusing, but it's really not if you think about it. And remember, all wildlife, fish included, belong to the people of the state, not private landowners.
    Yup I got ya I just didn't want to go too far with it and wanted to make sure that he and others understood that in the case of pay to fish lakes that the limit is sometimes different from that of the DFG regs.. But good point.

Quote Originally Posted by OCFishing420 View Post
    So OC city park lakes have a 10 catfish limit...?
    Which lake(s) are you talking about? But any lake that does not have a different limit posted will be 10 fish.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Which lake(s) are you talking about? But any lake that does not have a different limit posted will be 10 fish.
    Laguna, Ralph Clark, mile square, etc. there isn't any OC lakes listed... I hope the news doesn't spread too far about this. I like to release my fish so I can go back and cat them again

Quote Originally Posted by OCFishing420 View Post
    Laguna, Ralph Clark, mile square, etc. there isn't any OC lakes listed... I hope the news doesn't spread too far about this. I like to release my fish so I can go back and cat them again
    I first heard about the 10 fish limit in OC from the ranger at Carbon Canyon Regional Park. It is not very well known by most people, so SSSSSSSS so the bucket fisherman don't take the fish out even faster then they already do.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    I first heard about the 10 fish limit in OC from the ranger at Carbon Canyon Regional Park. It is not very well known by most people, so SSSSSSSS so the bucket fisherman don't take the fish out even faster then they already do.
    Moderators should delete this thread :) I've been enjoying my catch and release ninja trips, I don't want them too die due to bucket fisherman
    Last edited by LuckyCraft420; 06-26-2012 at 05:28 PM.

:rofl: :rofl::rofl:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast