Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Fished the Shore Today

Default Fished the Shore Today

Hit the shore today at the Gem and started at cove 1... poles wet shortly before 6 and threw a popper to begin. No love there so after working around to the start of cove 2 I switched to a spinnerbait. Again, no love there so I switched to the always faithful drop shot with roboworms. Hooked 2 but lost both of them on the jump. It eventually became too crowded to cast anywhere but straight out so I went around to the point before cove 3 still throwing a drop shot but with no more success. After watching my dad land 2 good ones on an Ika and Texas rigged senko I decided to rig up a texas rig senko as well. After about 4 casts I was able to finally land one... only a 1 pounder but still a bass nonetheless. After awhile the wind picked up and I went back to the drop shot towards the back of cove 3 and landed another small one. Tough day out there for us shore guys as everyone else I talked to was battling a skunk.

The one thing that was really bugging me is watching a school of 6-10 big bass swim right by shore munching on shad, but when they come up to whatever I had out there for them they go out of their way to swim around it and not even give it a look. Is there a secret to catching one of these fish?

i know that school was there last monmday and saw them do the same damn thing did u get to see the 8 pounder thaqt would just sit there and look up at you while you throw everything in your tackler box at himn

When they boil on the shad, throw a fluke on top of them.. Only when they boil though, otherwise they will ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by dfisher View Post
    When they boil on the shad, throw a fluke on top of them.. Only when they boil though, otherwise they will ignore it.
    you guys are gonna spin your wheels throwing shad baits right now. keep the same size as you would throw with shad around but switch your colors from variations of smoke or white to watermelon or green pumpkin. while there are silversides around in smaller groups, the bulk of that small forage are juvenile bass and bluegill.