Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who makes these lures?

Default Who makes these lures?

Recently I reorganized all of my tackle and found these 2 top water lures that I bought years ago, but for the life of me I can't remember who makes them. I fished them a little bit when I bought them, but due to the typical tackle clutter that builds up over time, I forgot I had them. I've done a couple of hours of internet research but have come up empty. I'm hoping someone on here might know so I can replenish my collection in case I lose one. I really appreciate any help, guys.

Those look like STI Pupfish that were made by a company called STI lures in Nevada. They are no longer made and are getting harder to find. Sometimes you will see them on ebay or on fishing sites classified sections but they tend to be on expensive side.

Kinda look like these too:

Quote Originally Posted by pupfish View Post
    Those look like STI Pupfish that were made by a company called STI lures in Nevada. They are no longer made and are getting harder to find. Sometimes you will see them on ebay or on fishing sites classified sections but they tend to be on expensive side.
    Wow man I think you nailed it! With a user name like "pupfish", you seem like you probably know what an STI Pupfish looks like haha. Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Kinda look like these too:

Yeah they have a very similar side profile to that lure. Those even look like they have the gill flare, too. Since the 4" STI Pupfish are going for like $50-$100, the Megabass Dog-X looks like a nice alternative. Thanks DS

I wish I could help that is a great looking bait and shoulds catch bass and stripers. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffO View Post
    Yeah they have a very similar side profile to that lure. Those even look like they have the gill flare, too. Since the 4" STI Pupfish are going for like $50-$100, the Megabass Dog-X looks like a nice alternative. Thanks DS
    The mold is identical, IMO.

Even down to the indentation on the gill itself. Sometimes I wonder who copied who.

The Dog X is hands down the best 'walk the dog' bait that I've fished. My poor Sammys are now sitting on the bench.

How did you do with those? Look fishy

I picked this up last year at Lake Havasu. Heard it was the killer bait for Stripers.
    Only got to use it one morning without success. Couldn't locate em.

WWO

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    The mold is identical, IMO.

Even down to the indentation on the gill itself. Sometimes I wonder who copied who.

The Dog X is hands down the best 'walk the dog' bait that I've fished. My poor Sammys are now sitting on the bench.
    The only real difference that I can think of is that the pupfish is about 5" long and the Dog-X's are 3.0 or 3.5"... Unless they make Dog-X's in a larger size? Otherwise I agree - they're suspiciously similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Which Way Out View Post
    How did you do with those? Look fishy

I picked this up last year at Lake Havasu. Heard it was the killer bait for Stripers.
    Only got to use it one morning without success. Couldn't locate em.

WWO
    I've been doing really well lately with the baby bass one. I've gotten bass up to 5.25# with it. The striper colored one has never even touched water so I have nothing to report on that one! I haven't really even thought about the right situation to throw it... Maybe into boils? I don't know anything about the striped bass spawn, so whenever that is, I bet it would be good to throw a couple months afterwards. Just thinking out loud...

The Paycheck Repo Man is a great lure. They certainly have a similar shape as the lures I posted about. Keep throwing it and you'll nail them for sure.

STI Pupfishes are still really solid baits. The Magnum size (8in) is still very valuable and LMB swimbait guys will drop anywhere from $100-$250 on one depending on condition. Seen the smaller ones go for $50-$100 pretty regularly. Those are rare colors though, so there is a good chance they could be worth more. Very nice find!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast