Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Shrimp for bait

Default Shrimp for bait

So I got some fresh shrimp for catfish fishing. Am I supposed to let it sit out in the sun for a couple of hours? And am I supposed to remove some of the shell? Any rigging suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Perris_holic View Post
    So I got some fresh shrimp for catfish fishing. Am I supposed to let it sit out in the sun for a couple of hours? And am I supposed to remove some of the shell? Any rigging suggestions?
    You don't need to leave it out in the sun. I keep the shell on and either flyline, slip bobber, or just the basic carolina rig.

Quote Originally Posted by P1M View Post
    You don't need to leave it out in the sun. I keep the shell on and either flyline, slip bobber, or just the basic carolina rig.
    Ok thanks for the info. I have like 20 shrimp so I will throw a lil in the sun just to compare.

Ok thanks for the info. I have like 20 shrimp so I will throw a lil in the sun just to compare.
    What I don't use I just re-freeze and they seem to get alot more oily and work better when I do that. I also but a little garlic salt on them but when you open the bag you thinkI SCAMPI"

In fishing with shrimp for catfish there are many ways to use them for bait and they will all work. I personally like fresh white shrimp with the shell off. I like to c-rig them or flyline them on a no. 4 baitholder hook. Another good way to use them is shell off, c-rigging them but also add a marshmellow to them. The list goes on and on, we didn't even mention adding scents to them which you can do. Also fishing trick 101, if you see someone pounding the crap out of them walk over and ask them what they are using. Most people are friendly enough, that they will be more then happy to share what type of bait they are using and how they rigged it up. Remember this is catfishing not bass fishing. lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 06-25-2012 at 08:33 AM.

i think fresh shrimp works best....when i go catfishing i usually take them out the night before from the freezer and leave them in my kitchen sink or in the fridge depending on how hot it is inside my house. and on the day i go fishing i keep them in my ice chest

Fresh is better. If you let them sit out in the sun they will spoil and smell bad and youll have to throw them away after your trip. If you keep them fresh you can freeze the left overs and use them again.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc89 View Post
    Fresh is better. If you let them sit out in the sun they will spoil and smell bad and youll have to throw them away after your trip. If you keep them fresh you can freeze the left overs and use them again.
    Well I ended up putting some garlic salt, garlic powder, and a little olive oil in a ziplock bag with the shrimp and placing it in the sun for a couple hours. I wasnt able to use them @ irvine on sunday so now they are in the freezer waiting for my next outing. Either corona or irvine.

i used fresh shrimp at corona no scent and worked great. Some of the large pink with shell on i cut them in half size 1/0 hook fly lined(try a couple split shot weights if needed) put the hook thru the shell and off it went.

Well I ended up putting some garlic salt, garlic powder, and a little olive oil in a ziplock bag with the shrimp and placing it in the sun for a couple hours. I wasnt able to use them @ irvine on sunday so now they are in the freezer waiting for my next outing. Either corona or irvine.
    Well if you put garlic salt and powder they probably wont smell bad. But as you can see even angelsfan951 used fresh with no scent. You dont really need to add anything for them to work well.