Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Redington Classic Trout Fly Rod - For beginner

Default Redington Classic Trout Fly Rod - For beginner

What do you guys think of this rod as a first rod? Was thinking of getting the 6WT model.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...417712.4418878

Are Redington's Reliable? Is it a good deal at $89 bucks? Or should I cough up more money and get a Corvis clearwater?

its ok. rod technology is making them better and cheaper, and more reliable. it helps to cast it before you buy. i bought a redington low end rod when my son about 5 yrs ago.... it sucked, it was like casting a broomstick. i ended up getting another one for him....

A 6wt rod is pretty beefy if you are planning to fish creeks, streams and even lakes in SOCAL or even the Sierras. I use a 6wt for pontoon boating the saltwater bays. I would sure recommend that you not look at just the price point but
    think of it as an investment. You don't have to spend 3,000 for a Winston but $89 bucks is a little on the other side. I would sure recommend that you go to the Spot in Van Nuys, Marriots in Orange C0 or Orvis in pasadena and talk with someone who can help show you the differences in rod handling and weights. My favorite rod for fishing for trout is a 3wt 7'9" Forecast that I built. A number of the companies make beginners packages that will serve you well for your learning years. While you are there, ask about their free casting and fishing classes.

Thanks for the replys. I dropped by the Orvis store in Pasadena and to be honest, couldn't quite grasp the difference between the Clearwater and the Helios series. I guess it'll take some years of using the lower end model before I am able to appreciate the higher quality of the Orvis brands. For a beginner set, I think I'll save a few bucks and get the$89 Redington over the Orvis. Maybe after a few years of learning, i'll be able to understand the difference of an ounce or two.

I chose the 6WT so that I could use it at DVL for Trout and Stripers and also out in the Ocean for some surf fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    A 6wt rod is pretty beefy if you are planning to fish creeks, streams and even lakes in SOCAL or even the Sierras. I use a 6wt for pontoon boating the saltwater bays. I would sure recommend that you not look at just the price point but
    think of it as an investment. You don't have to spend 3,000 for a Winston but $89 bucks is a little on the other side. I would sure recommend that you go to the Spot in Van Nuys, Marriots in Orange C0 or Orvis in pasadena and talk with someone who can help show you the differences in rod handling and weights. My favorite rod for fishing for trout is a 3wt 7'9" Forecast that I built. A number of the companies make beginners packages that will serve you well for your learning years. While you are there, ask about their free casting and fishing classes.

There you go. You've just started down a path that will never really end and is a lot of fun learning along the way. The 6wt will be fine for what you want to do with it. I will repeat my suggestion that you take casting lessons...sooner then later. There are number of local fly fishing clubs that offer free classes as well as the stores I mentioned. Lessons shorten the learning (and frustration) curve by about 200%. Watch casting videos by Joan Wuff on YouTube. She really makes the essential something anyone can understand. Good luck. Next thing you know, you'll be tying your own flies.

Welcome to the dark side. Started 10 yrs ago with a st croix imperial 5 wt. for trout
    now i've lost count. 2,3,4,5,6,8 & 12 wt rods for every type of fishing.

Good luck. And find a higher paying job to pay for your fix.

Viejo,

I was recommended the Redington Classic Trout series when I was purchasing my first rod. I went with a low end Sage rod and although I do like it, I really enjoy the Echo Carbon series of rods. These are probably the best bang for your buck, and various publications who have reviewed it have said it fishes like a $300 dollar rod, and has the look of them as well.

The problem with whatever sport I pick up is the fact I don't like to skimp on equipment knowing it will be a factor in how fast I learn how to properly cast. Like Viejo said, obviously I'm not going to drop $1000 on a Winston, but I managed to up my budget just a tad knowing that I would be doing this seriously, and my equipment wouldn't end up collecting dust.