Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Grass carp

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    They are still an introduced species, and they will consume fish eggs if given the opportunity. That is why they want them out of the Sac river system. Most other states want you kill them as well, except for some private ponds, where they are sometimes stocked for weed control. Saying they are "good" is like saying that feral pigs are good because they till the soil. But of course we all know California is the least educated state when it comes to wildlife management. They have proven that many times.
    Grass carp, at least the adult ones, do not eat fish eggs. Babies might, but the grass carp that are introduced into ponds and irrigation canals are triploid (sterile). That's why the are illegal to take in most of CA. I'm guessing there's a breeding population in the Sac river drainage, which is why they're the exception.

They are still an introduced species, and they will consume fish eggs if given the opportunity. That is why they want them out of the Sac river system. Most other states want you kill them as well, except for some private ponds, where they are sometimes stocked for weed control. Saying they are "good" is like saying that feral pigs are good because they till the soil. But of course we all know California is the least educated state when it comes to wildlife management. They have proven that many times.
    I'm with you on common carp, though. They're an invasive species that harm fisheries and needs to be thinned out drastically.

I have no problem with the triploids stocked for weed control. But in the majority of the US, especially the midwest, the grass carp spawn, and in large numbers. As for the commons, I think everybody is on the same page. I know some strict c&r guys who will kill a carp if given the chance.

You can hug 'em if you want, I'll keep murdering the bastards.
    We all know you shoot and release, Skyler.

Indeed. Their souls are thoroughly released.

Carp do have a place in the food chain...in ASIA. They are an invasive species here, and cause massive algae blooms, high turbidity/low visibility (which negatively affects sight predators), not to mention the millions of natyive fish eggs they consume. Add that with the fact that they lay over two million eggs per spawn, and spawn up to three times a year, and yeah, I think that arrow sounds pretty good...

You can hug 'em if you want, I'll keep murdering the bastards.
    You just inspired me Skyler. I'll hit up Elsinore this weekend and kill like 20 of them in 1 hour. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MindBendo View Post
    You just inspired me Skyler. I'll hit up Elsinore this weekend and kill like 20 of them in 1 hour. lol
    Sweet. Don't forget to post pics of the massacre.

I'd like to catch a Mirror Carp.

Sweet. Don't forget to post pics of the massacre.

Yeah, those mirror carp/amur are cool looking fish.

LOL!! That doesn't put a dent on their population, that's like killing 1 ant in the Amazons!! Hahahahaha, keep bowing until your ARM falls off

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast