Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Deer" Island.....

This is kinda off topic but when I was living in Virginia Beach I worked on the water as a Hydrographic Surveyor for a few years. We were on the Chesapeake Bay going to Tangier Island to do some work. We were in a 22ft Boston whaler, the fog was really heavy and we had to navigate by compass to get to the island. We were going slow cause if you cant see anybody then they cant see you. We were in the crabbing lanes and did not want to get run over by a larger boat. So were stopped with the engine off (somebody was taking a piss I think) and we could hear this splashing and heavy breathing. It was super foggy and you could not see but prolly 10ft in any direction. Noise kinda bounces around in the fog so we has no idea what it was. We paddled over to the noise, what we found was a deer, a very large buck struggling to swim. The guy in charge says "lets help it out and bring it on the boat." I was like NO F-In WAY bro, those hooves are weapons. Anyway after a rather heated debate, we decided to help this deer out. I'm driving the boat and 2 of the other guys grab the deer by the antlers to bring him on the boat. Once they touched the antlers that deer went into hyper panic with a burst of energy, he was kicking the side of the boat snorting, man he had pure hatred in his eyes toward us. The deer had not idea we were trying to help. He wanted to get away from us. Now mind you, this deer was probably 5 miles from shore heading in the wrong direction. So after holding on to this deer about 10minutes on the side of the boat the deer finally just gave up. One of the guys tried to give it water buy pouring down him mouth, that does not work. To make a long story short, we held onto the deer for about 30 minutes to give it a rest. We were dragging it along side the boat for about 2-3 miles back to shore when the deer had enough. He started to thrash and cracked the fiberglass on top of the gunnel. We let him go by pushing him with the oar and pointing him toward shore.

Not sure what happenednd to him, don't think he made it back to land. But it is a fun story to tell non-the-less..

What a great story man..... Welcome to FNN!

Thanx for the read!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12