Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Kern River and Isabella tips?

Default Kern River and Isabella tips?

Fishing the upper Kern this weekend to hopefully C&R some brown trout and rainbows, then heading down the hill to fish Isabella to take home some catfish. Does anyone have any tips that can help us out? For the Kern we will be fishing ultralite spinning setups anyone know any lures and good spots to fish? Is the river mouth into lake Isabella a good spot for cats? Any recommendations for bait and spots to get us on some fish?

Thanks

Matt

For the Kern,u can use rooster tail or panther martin for lures. That's what usually works for me.You can also use tube jigs or power worms.If all else fails,u can always catch some on a split shot and a #10 or 12 mousqito hook with salmon eggs.Hope this helps and post a report.Oh don't forget to use light line 2# test is best.Good luck.For Isabella catfish,they can be caught just about anywhere around the lake.I usually go to the area around north fork marina and work the flats and trees.

Thanks for the tips any spots you could recommend on the Kern? You can P.M. me if you would like.
    I was thinking black and gold and light green for lure colors? Also has anyone tried those preserved shad that they sell for catfish bait?

Try any of the campsites up river,they usually stock those areas pretty good.Or u can just look around for a place that has a nice pool to fish at.The river is heavily stocked this time of year.Good luck.

Best lures in my opinion are the Panther Martin, black with yellow spots and gold blade. Blue fox #2 in gold is also good. Salmon eggs are by far the best bait. They stock everywhere the road comes close to the river so just find a fishy spot and you should do well.
    Get some of the frozen shad from one of the local stores or bring some frozen mackerel for the catfish.

I caught this one the other day at Riverside Park. They have slowed down on the stocking lately. Salmon eggs are the best in the river. Go light on the weight, a single small split shot should do.
    Last edited by 1I1III11; 02-07-2018 at 02:15 PM.