Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Stalking the weeds for fish kabobs. BBL bowfishing session...

Default Stalking the weeds for fish kabobs. BBL bowfishing session...

Headed up to Big Bear on Friday to impale a few goldfish. Hit the east end as usual. I got there and talked to a few other bowfishermen. They reported slow action along the boardwalk, with almost no fish showing. I nocked up and headed out. They were right. Very few fish were basking in the open water. After two hours, I only managed to shoot two that were holding along the pilings. I gave them to a couple of guys who were fishing east of the boardwalks...

Around noon, I started to notice more movement in the weed beds, however, I could not see the fish, just the grass moving. At this point I decided to wade some of the weeds and grass beds in hopes of a shot. This turned out to be a good idea. I was able to stalk in and get a lot of shots off, though most were difficult due to only being able to see some scale through a 3" hole in the weeds. I was able to pick off 8 more before I called it a day. Total fish count, 12 shot, 10 landed, 2 pulled off. Longest shot, about 20 feet. Shortest shot, right at my feet. All in all, not a bad day at all...

nice going,
    Ill be up there this weekend looking to do the same
    -bb

Fish kabobs, eh?

So you just put those guys on the grill, arrow and all?

What kind of wine pairs best with carp asada?

Taking shots right at your feet Skyler? That explains the sixth rule of bowfishing safety:Carry a first aid kit.
    Kidding aside, nice catch!
    Last edited by teejay; 06-18-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Thanks, guys. TeeJay, I felt comfortable taking the shot due to the soft mud bottom. I was standing on a rock at the time. The fish was out about two feet.
    DS, I love the flavor of melting fiberglass. It really accentuates the muddy taste of a giant stupid goldfish. As for wine pairing, carp should always be matched to a fine prison pruno. The more fruit cocktail, the better.

Anyone know the difference between a carp and a lawyer? One is a scum sucking bottom feeder, the other is a fish.

Hell yeah, that's about the most manly way you can kill off those trash fish. Keep the genocide alive!

Looks like a fun sport!! I see groups of nice sized carp at the fishing pier at Carol Morrison public boat launch every time I have been fishing there, usually in the afternoon. If they let you shoot there....Go get em!
    Last edited by M@M; 06-19-2012 at 08:40 PM.