Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to become a SWAT member?

Well it looks like ill never be able to get the SWAT Member under my screen name now. cant wait to gopro a secret spot soon and nor blur out the background! Stay tune everyone, some spots will be exposed.... ;)

is she qualified to be a swat member

Last edited by WARRIORMIKE; 06-19-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Which Way Out View Post

I'm not trying to stir the pot here. Had 78 views on 'Hooked topic'
    ZERO Responses. How many posts of fish hooked not in the mouth ? MANY.
    I've snagged my share too.

I am just wondering if snagging and keeping the catch is legal ?
    So many surf fish, threshers, cuda not hooked in the mouth.

Accidental Snag
    and Snagging, there is a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    I'm not trying to stir the pot here. Had 78 views on 'Hooked topic'
    ZERO Responses. How many posts of fish hooked not in the mouth ? MANY.
    I've snagged my share too.

I am just wondering if snagging and keeping the catch is legal ?
    So many surf fish, threshers, cuda not hooked in the mouth.

Accidental Snag
    and Snagging, there is a difference.

Hi DR, sorry for the late response on the subject.

I remember when it was first noted that if you brought up a fish that was snagged, it was illegal. A captain a while ago told me and my dad, "But how many people on a sportboat are going to believe and/or follow that?" That's a good point, it could bring up a lot of unnecessary arguments.

Sight fishing and snagging trout is one thing, but when you're fishing a jig or flylining for calicos, that's entirely another, you could accidentally snag a fish.

The law says the fish has to voluntarily take the bait...so how do we know they didn't voluntarily take the bait, they just missed the hook and it got snagged? What if the hook catches it on the mouth, from the outside in? We need to get a good interpreter for DFG laws...

Exclamation Snagging...

Follow the email chain from bottom to top. I sent this inquiry to the DFG a couple of years ago.
    Happy now Martin?

************************************************** ********************************

Hello again Mr. Lai,

There is one other species of fish that may not be snagged legally in the ocean: sturgeon, per Section 27.90(d). Apologies for any confusion,

yours,

Mary Patyten

Mary Patyten
    California Department of Fish and Game
    Marine Region Education and Outreach
    (707) 964-5026
    mpatyten@dfg.ca.gov

Visit the DFG Marine Region Web site at www.dfg.ca.gov/marine

Pursuant to Governor’s Executive Order S 12-10, I will be out of the office on the second, third and fourth Friday of each month until further notice.

************************************************** **************************************

>>> Mary Patyten 11/5/2010 8:04 AM >>>

Hello Mr. Lai,

Snagging fish from the ocean is actually legal, unless the fish being snagged is salmon.

yours,

Mary Patyten

Mary Patyten
    California Department of Fish and Game
    Marine Region Education and Outreach
    (707) 964-5026
    mpatyten@dfg.ca.gov

Visit the DFG Marine Region Web site at www.dfg.ca.gov/marine

Pursuant to Governor’s Executive Order S 12-10, I will be out of the office on the second, third and fourth Friday of each month until further notice.

************************************************** ******************************************

I have seen many people on piers, jetties and beaches utilizing snagging gear to snag fish (heavy line, sinker and treble hooks). Is this method of take legal? Thanks for your time.

Arthur Lai - Fishingnetwork.net

Had to shine in on this with my opinion.

If an individual doesn't know a group/crew of anglers personally and out of the blue wants to join that fishing crew, it shows me that that individual wants to poach those secret spots. Like others say, "Put the time and effort out and you'll be rewarded."

Like Wingnut said as well, "SWAT is a bunch of friends that fish together" you can start your own fishing crew if you like. No I'm not part of SWAT, will I ever be? Won't know until you get that invite (some do, some don't) to become a SWAT member. If you do get the invite to become a member of SWAT congrats!!! to you, they are a bunch of cool people (met Arthur and Bones) once and from first impression, they are cool people. If you don't/haven't got an invite to become a member of SWAT, then gather a bunch of your buddies and form a fishing crew and go fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by the killa fish taco View Post
    So I guess what youre trying to say is, Some people aren't privileged enough to hang out and fish with the same group of guys that were suppose to be involved with a family type of group (Team 57)?

Thats why I joined FNN (a few years back) so we can all fish together and share info. with each other.
    Ignorance is bliss as they say.

Nobody and I mean NOBODY, has done more to try and preserve Fisherman 57's legacy than Arthur and the SWAT team.
    I'm fortunate enough to be a part of the brotherhood and experienced first hand of the magic and comeraderie of this group of friends.
    In any get together, Dana's name never goes unmentioned and Arthur makes sure that SWAT operates and conduct themselves in the highest standards.
    I see this thread as no less than a personal attack on SWAT.

Why even get all butt hurt if you're not included in a group of "friends". Were you neglected as a child? Abused? Bullied? It's like insisting on coming to a family party when you're not related or even a friend of the family.
    I was fortunate enough to be included and until this day, I still don't really know why. Art and I are friends but I rarely fish. I think I made it out there maybe twice last year.

Arthur is very careful with his choices and he very well should be. He is very slow in making friends and even slower in changing them.

If you contribute positively to the board and conduct yourself accordingly, you might get an invitation someday. If not, the sun will still come out tomorrow, the tide will rise and fall, and the fish will still be biting. Grow up people.

Like the saying goes:

"Make Friends for Life, not Friends for a Day"

X2 on BlackWater's response. If you don't get the invite, the sun still shines, tides still rises and falls, and fish needs to eat. Go out and fish. My passion is fishing, my dad starting taking me when I was young growing up in Minnesota (man I miss that place) and now that I'm a father of a 1 1/2 year old girl, I don't fish as much as before or as I like and I'm waiting for that day to come when I can take her out and she catches her first fish =0)

So if you're part of a fishing crew or not, go out and go fish. It's not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by the killa fish taco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BaseBallBat View Post
    So are you saying SWAT members snag their fish legally ?
    LMAO

No comment

There you go KFT, looks like you found your first crew member. Now you two can go sit in the corner and cry about how SWAT carries on, who Arthur accepts, and how we all think we are somehow priveleged over anybody else, or you can go out, fish, and enjoy yourselves.

We should all feel priveleged that we have great surf fishing available to us (minus MPLA closures of course). No one needs a crew affiliation for that. One of the most satisfying things about fishing our coastline is getting out there, exploring, and finding your own productive spots. At least it should be.

Who knows, with some dedication and commitment to the surf, you may find yourself fishing side by side with Arthur a couple of times and the next thing you know he will be handing you a SWAT hat. Haha.
    Last edited by midgettosser1; 06-20-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast