Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to become a SWAT member?

Default How to become a SWAT member?

I was wondering, How do you become a SWAT Member? I see that they have their own lil circle that were ALL team 57 members. Seems like they broke away and started their own thing now. I would love to go surf fish with these guys!

SWAT Members: Just wondering if any of you guys have fished Dume Cove in Malibu? We'll be hitting that this week and filming with the GoPros. Maybe we can hook up soon.

Cool The "Brotherhood"

I posted this a while back on a thread in response to a few misunderstandings we had.
    It should give you a pretty good idea of what we are all about.

Who are the S.W.A.T. Guys Anyway…???

I probably should have written this a long time ago… maybe it might have prevented some misunderstandings and/or misconceptions about the S.W.A.T. Team.

I’ve received an extraordinary amount of private messages and comments regarding S.W.A.T. over the years and while the overwhelming majority of them have been positive, there’s been a few that had me scratching my head and wondering, “What in the world were they thinking…???”

Here are a couple of excerpts…
    “Why is S.W.A.T. so military? “
    “You S.W.A.T. guys are totally prejudice, you alienate people by not allowing them to join your group…”
    “S.W.A.T. is all about internet glory, big egos and who can catch the biggest fish…”
    “If you guys are really about helping other fishermen, then why don’t you share with us all your spots…”

I guess it’s true that you can’t make everybody happy and you can’t please 100% of the people 100% of the time. After putting myself in the shoes of those who made these comments and trying to see S.W.A.T. through their eyes, I can see where how they could feel that way.

I will try my best to convey to all of you, what S.W.A.T. is all about… and will start by addressing each comment.

“Why is S.W.A.T. so military?”
    I can see how somebody could misconstrue our group of having law enforcement or military affiliation. To be clear, S.W.A.T. is not a law enforcement or military based group. Even though, we do have a fire fighter, a paramedic, a police officer and a couple of ex-marines in our midst, we do not follow any such protocol. The Commander, Lieutenant, Captain and Soldier moniker is all in the name of fun. There are no official ranks in our group. All S.W.A.T. members are on the same level and equally respected regardless of their fishing skills and/or experience.

S.W.A.T. stands for “Salt Water Attack Team” or “Surf and Waves Assault Team”.

“You S.W.A.T. guys are totally prejudice, you alienate people by not allowing everybody to join your group…”
    Yes, it is true that S.W.A.T. is not an open to “all that apply” club. We’re simply just a group of “Friends” who shares the same philosophy and values when it comes to the sport that we love. We dedicate ourselves to preserving the memory and vision of our fallen Team 57 founder and friend Dana Rea (aka Fisherman 57). This is the bond that holds us together. Dana’s simple philosophy of “Family, Friends, Fun and Fishing” is brilliant in its simplicity. I consider S.W.A.T. to be a fraternity of Brothers (and Sisters) just enjoying each others company on or off the water.

Why be upset if you can’t be a part of our tight knit group? Gather up a bunch of your friends that loves fishing and start your own club and invite whoever you want to join. But please don’t label us as prejudicial because you think that you’re entitled to something that you’re not.

S.W.A.T. members aren’t chosen based on their fishing resumes. There are many variables and qualities that we take into consideration and the final decision as to who are invited is not mine alone. How a member conduct his or herself on the board, how much they contribute and share their experiences instead of just lurking and taking information. Their overall attitude, angling philosophy and the respect they have for the environment. The members not only represent themselves, but the group as whole in everything they do. Yes, it’s a lot harder to “be” a S.W.A.T. member than just wearing a cap or a shirt and saying that you are one…
    I sincerely appreciate the many messages that I get inquiring about our group and the overwhelming amount of support for what we do.

“S.W.A.T. is all about internet glory, big egos and who can catch the biggest fish…”
    Internet glory? Sorry, but if we were out for recognition and internet glory, you would see S.W.A.T. reports on at least a dozen other fishing website out there. The majority of our reports are here at the Fishing Network. S.W.A.T. members are free to post their reports wherever they want. But speaking for myself, I barely find enough time to fish and post a report here on FNN, let alone trying to post reports on every other fishing websites. There are some great fishing websites out there. I frequent a few from time to time and respect them all.

Egos and who can catch the biggest fish? Show me a thread where any S.W.A.T. member boasts about his/her fishing skills, how many fish they can catch or how much better they are over their fellow angler. With the exception of the bantering you see within our own group, you’d be hard pressed to find valid reasons to back up that comment.
    S.W.A.T. is somewhat competitive, mostly amongst ourselves. We do have a “Leader Board Challenge” style competition internally that both motivate and entertain the friendly competitive nature within our group. I can honestly say that we are genuinely happy and proud whenever our Brothers or Sisters do well or make a notable catch.

“If you guys are really about helping other fishermen, then why don’t you share with us all your spots…”
    Do I really need to address this comment…? When it comes to fishing and spots. The general protocol is a “Don’t ask, Don’t tell” policy. Why would somebody give up their favorite spots that they spent, weeks, months and even years to find to just anybody? Instead of waiting for a free hand-out, try to go out there yourself and recon some areas. Invest some time to find a spot and fish it at different times of the day, on different tides and conditions to dial it in. Trust me, it is much more gratifying finding a spot on your own and having success with it. There is a certain degree of pride and satisfaction when you do succeed on your own. It’s called fishing “Responsibly.” Don’t get upset if somebody won’t tell you their honey-hole. They don’t have to share it with you and frankly, you’re not entitled to it. We’ve had people try to follow us out there, driving around looking for our cars and stuff, kind of pathetic if you ask me.

Speaking for myself, I have no problem telling you exactly what I do, when I do it, and how I do it… But don’t expect me to tell you where I do it. I answer every PM that I get respectfully and with complete honesty. If somebody can’t handle that, they can PM somebody else. I don’t think there is a single member here on the board that can say that I deliberately blew them off or alienate them in any way while reaching out to me and I know that every S.W.A.T. member feels the same way.

S.W.A.T. as a group will try to help out our fellow fishermen as much as possible. We don’t claim to be the experts or the best of anything. We share our experiences and pass on knowledge to whoever reaches out to us for assistance. Whether to learn, get information or need some friendly advice, we will do our best to steer you in the right direction.

It’s one of the reasons why we hold the annual “Hunting Giants Surf Fishing Event.” It’s our way of giving back to a fishing community that has been so supportive of us over the years.

The more people who are aware and gets involved in our sport the better. Education and participation is the key to preserving the Ocean, its resources and our sport in the long run.

I hope you accept my message with an open mind. Thank you for your continued support and that you find success in whatever you do, on or off the water.

If anybody would like to have a private discussion regarding S.W.A.T. or any other FNN matters, I’m available via PM (Private Messages).

Sincerely,

Arthur (Wingnut)
    Last edited by Wingnut; 06-18-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by the killa fish taco View Post
    SWAT Members: Just wondering if any of you guys have fished Dume Cove in Malibu? We'll be hitting that this week and filming with the GoPros. Maybe we can hook up soon.
    We've fished there for years and had some great success.
    The area is now off limits due to the MLPA closures.

So I guess what youre trying to say is, Some people aren't privileged enough to hang out and fish with the same group of guys that were suppose to be involved with a family type of group (Team 57)?

Thats why I joined FNN (a few years back) so we can all fish together and share info. with each other.

Thanks for the info on the MLPA closures.

When are you guys gonna do another Surf Fishing Event? I missed the last one cause I was at the Team 57 event at Irvine Lake. I would love to attend one of these.

Ha i never knew SWAT was even a group, I just thought it was a bunch of dudes all over the place who fished salt water. They're cool though, taught my friends, family and I some really good info that helped us out a lot with surf fishing at "hunting for giants". Thanks guys

So I guess what youre trying to say is, Some people aren't privileged enough to hang out and fish with the same group of guys that were suppose to be involved with a family type of group (Team 57)?.
    The Killa Fish Taco,

That is not what Arthur had in mind when he mentioned that some people think they are privileged to everything. I do not know of any S.W.A.T. member to have ever insinuated that they are in any way better than anybody else. The group is comprised of both old and young, very experienced fishermen, and the not-so-experienced fishermen like myself. If you have a chance to meet some of the members in person, I'm sure you'll understand what I'm talking about....

Keep an eye out for the next Legends of the Surf event, we'll be glad to see you there. I'm sure there is much we could learn from each other. I will FOR SURE be there because I can't wait to see everyone again...it's been such a quiet year for me, hiding behind books

Andrew

Thumbs down

So I guess what youre trying to say is, Some people aren't privileged enough to hang out and fish with the same group of guys that were suppose to be involved with a family type of group (Team 57)?

Thats why I joined FNN (a few years back) so we can all fish together and share info. with each other.
    Seriously dude?!? Is that what you got out of reading my post?
    I won't waste anymore of your time trying to explain it further...

Quote Originally Posted by fish_sauce View Post
    The Killa Fish Taco,

That is not what Arthur had in mind when he mentioned that some people think they are privileged to everything. I do not know of any S.W.A.T. member to have ever insinuated that they are in any way better than anybody else. The group is comprised of both old and young, very experienced fishermen, and the not-so-experienced fishermen like myself. If you have a chance to meet some of the members in person, I'm sure you'll understand what I'm talking about....

Keep an eye out for the next Legends of the Surf event, we'll be glad to see you there. I'm sure there is much we could learn from each other. I will FOR SURE be there because I can't wait to see everyone again...it's been such a quiet year for me, hiding behind books

Andrew
    Thanks Andrew, but no need to explain... some people get it, some don't.

I was wondering, How do you become a SWAT Member? I see that they have their own lil circle that were ALL team 57 members. Seems like they broke away and started their own thing now. I would love to go surf fish with these guys!

Well, knowing the rules and regulations for fishing saltwater definitely does help. For instance, Pt. Dume is a MLPA area, and the law regarding that is not new. I recommend looking up all the MLPA areas before you start hitting the surf and reading up on the regs before you get out there. Here's a link to the saltwater section of the DFG site that should help.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/regulations.asp
    http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/southcoast.asp

There are a lot of rules that differ from salt to fresh, for instance snagging IS legal in saltwater.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast