Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips On Catching Leopards In The Surf

20 - 30 lb test. 2 - 3 oz pyramid weight.
    Squid stays on the hook better for long casting. Mackerel fillets are good too.
    DR

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Lager View Post
    i've only fished sunset a few times, but all i could catch was bsp. one time, i only threw the LC, trying to weed through the bsp & still ended up with 4.

that steep bank & crashing waves makes for nice bsp hunting grounds
    Last time I was there I fished alot and all I caught was some stingrays I tried everything squid grubs and gulp sandworms and I still just caut stingrays

I have caught many leo's but all of the ones I have caught were from the piers. I have caught them on squid, anchovies, and macks. All were caught at night in the surfline. Squid is best option because it stays on best. No need for wire, I have caught all of mine on 20# P-line. Good luck and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by 5150fishn View Post
    I have caught many leo's but all of the ones I have caught were from the piers. I have caught them on squid, anchovies, and macks. All were caught at night in the surfline. Squid is best option because it stays on best. No need for wire, I have caught all of mine on 20# P-line. Good luck and report back.
    Yea I was thinking about using a whole squid

Gotta use kittens, the cuter the better...fly line with a 4/0 hook through the nose. make sure they can swim a little, once they drown give it 15 minutes and then put another kitten on,..

One of my favorite leopard baits is a whole bunch of fresh mussel.

When I say a whole bunch I mean 5 giant mussels all on a 2/0 octopus hook.

Leos will pretty much relish anything fresh and smelly

I like using squid but it can be expensive..

A big sandcrab on the same size octo is also a leopard magnet in the surf.

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
    Gotta use kittens, the cuter the better...fly line with a 4/0 hook through the nose. make sure they can swim a little, once they drown give it 15 minutes and then put another kitten on,..
    Haha now I wanna try that!!!!

hey thanks for all the info guys I a leaving for the beach tomorrow afternoon and am staying until Thursday I will be sure to report back on if I catch anything

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12