Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: California Halibut Carcasses Wanted!!!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by chowderpuff View Post
    Very interesting... thank you for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    Very interesting... thank you for that.
    Very Interesting Indeed.

I had a feeling this smelled fishy
    WWO

College/University
    MLML is known for a hands-on, field-oriented approach, which places our students, faculty, researchers and staff at the frontiers of marine science worldwide where discoveries are being made. http://www.mlml.calstate.edu/

Some hot chicks on there too!!

Very interesting. I have visited several sites and they have put this lady on blast, and with good reason it seems. Google Her name, she has posted on quite a few boards. Personally, I don't think I'll support someone who has closed so many of our favorite fishing holes.

Thank you "chowderpuff" for the spearhead website reference. I also thought we were being harsh with our comments to this "college" kid but now comes the evidence that there is more to her request than just "college thesis" . Although i dislike the vulgar references to any human being on some of the posts, I do share my disgust that she was not totally forthcoming on her activities in support of closure. Good Job by all of those who took the time to research this request. We can't stop her from fishing and gathering info but we certainly don't have to make it easy for her to shut down additional fishing areas.

Hahahaha.. "educated" people crack me up.

I remember you were asking for the carcasses a while back, too.

Why should we trust you, a member of an organization that repeatedly broke the law, and abused the Yukon tribe for kickbacks? (not to mention us here in socal, the TRUE stewards of the ocean?)

I'd trust a police officer with 300 officer-involved-shootings under a 1-year term over you!

"I am just trying to uncover some truths about this species and will be looking to share my study's results with the community."

CalHal2014

I welcome this opportunity to provide you with some valuable information.. A little about myself, I am life long Angler who has spent a considerable amount of time fishing the coastal and islands waters of Southern California over the past 35 years. I have done my research and I have facts (truths) that I would like to share with the science community. It should come as no surprise that you ask for help from the fishing community as you will do anything to close more areas. As it stands the MLPA process serves as a lesson to all that you and those who you represent will stop at nothing to ban fishing). Its been proven that our concerns, our rights, our liberties, and our traditions are of no regard to you and your people (EnvironMENTAL Extremists, Oil Company Executives, Wealthy Land Owners, and Developers). When it comes to protecting our fisheries Anglers are the true environmentalists who have been fighting for tighter restrictions on commercial fishing and increased enforcement in the field for decades before the Marine Life PRIVATIZATION Act was formed.

So if you want to help, then focus on methods of conservation that have been proven effective such as the efforts that have restored our white sea bass fishery. Success has been achieved by restrictions on COMMERCIAL fishing with the ban on gill nets not recreational fishing. Once gill nets were banned with in 3 miles of shore the sea bass began a remarkable come back to reach where we are today. I firmly believe that significant increases in the number of halibut along our coast is also a consequence of the gill net ban. Its important to take note that these fisheries have seen significant growth through a recovery period which has provided the opportunity for recreation take through out since the time of the program's conception. The secrete behind the success of this program is known as effective fishery management AKA common sense. Programs that help protect fisheries while allowing opportunities for recreational fishing have had proven success. It should come as no surprise the program has also tremendously benefited from the strong support of the fishing community. Closures will never be supported by the fishing community even when putting a side the fact that reserves take away the rights of the public there is no scientific evidence that has proven to support the need for such areas. The last thing we need are more closures that do not work and do nothing more that take away the right of the public. That's all the information I have for you.

JerryG
    Last edited by jerryG; 07-08-2012 at 12:20 AM.

you people defending this fish nazi are tools!

this individual will post on various sites asking for California Halibut Carcasses in a letter that will look like or similar to the following:

My name is Cheryl Barnes and I am a graduate student at Moss Landing Marine Laboratories. As part of my master's thesis, I will be conducting a study, which evaluates the reproductive capabilities of California Halibut (Paralichthys californicus). More specifically, I will estimate and compare growth rates, length and age at maturity and egg production of halibut from three central California locations (Half Moon Bay, Monterey Bay and Morro Bay) to better understand this economically important species and provide information for resource management.

To quote some people that know what she is really up to:

"This is the same Cheryl that was working for the San Diego Ocean Foundation and actually spent time organizing rides to get more people to MLPA meetings to try and close down our fishing."

Cheryl was on public record asking to close swamis and la jolla.. to wit:

"Swamis incorporates both shallow & deep water habitats as well as a
    great source of surf grass, making it a prime place to protect. Protecting
    this area would also make the area much safer for the may surers who
    frequent the area I would serve a greater purpose than the Del Mar SMR"

and

"La Jolla is an area rich in biodiversity & habitat neterogencity & deserves
    some consideration. The Lapis 1 proposal is the only one that seems to do
    the area any justice, the public (fishers, snorkelers, kayakers & divers)
    would greatly benefit from the SMR!"

Just an FYI for everyone.

CalHal go to hell. You are the same Barnes that got bus loads of MLPA supports to go have our coast closed.

Look at link,
    http://seagrant.mlml.calstate.edu/la...cheryl-barnes/Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l_7f63af49c73e79182aa8223c4797f4cc.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	36154

Btw, it's definitely the same person. This quote is from the link,
    If you are interested in donating a California Halibut carcass or providing additional information to help advance this study, please contact:
    Last edited by bman90278; 07-08-2012 at 07:50 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast