Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: California Halibut Carcasses Wanted!!!

Default California Halibut Carcasses Wanted!!!

Greetings!

My name is Cheryl Barnes and I am a graduate student at Moss Landing Marine Laboratories. As part of my master's thesis, I will be conducting a study, which evaluates the reproductive capabilities of California Halibut (Paralichthys californicus). More specifically, I will estimate and compare growth rates, length and age at maturity and egg production of halibut from three central California locations (Half Moon Bay, Monterey Bay and Morro Bay) to better understand this economically important species and provide information for resource management.

If you are interested in donating a carefully-filleted California Halibut carcass (all internal organs intact; you keep the fillets) and/or providing additional information to help advance this study, please contact:

Cheryl L. Barnes, Moss Landing Marine Laboratories
    8272 Moss Landing Road | Moss Landing, CA 95039
    e: cbarnes@mlml.calstate.edu | p: (831) 515-8232 | f: (831) 632-4403

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and I look forward to hearing from some of you soon.

you had me up till barnes...

Since a lot of bad science as resulted in MPLA closures hurting us who like sports fishing, why would we we help you?
    Last edited by MonsterGuppy; 06-16-2012 at 02:29 AM.

You guys don't even know who's side she is on yet

Quote Originally Posted by simijab View Post
    You guys don't even know who's side she is on yet
    X2.

Honestly, you guys are too quick to jump the gun. Oh and it's MLPA not MPLA.

@Cheryl try contacting Redondo Beach sportfishing. The boats there have been getting Halibut up to 40lbs and some of the carcasses are sitting in the harbor being eaten by the resident Opaleye.

Hi All,

Thank you for replying to my post. While I appreciate your concerns and welcome your questions, I would like to assure you that my study has nothing to do with MPAs. I am simply trying to collect data for a region where it is currently lacking. All of the existing information we have regarding the reproductive capacities of California Halibut comes from southern California. With very different environmental conditions found north and south of Point Conception, it is likely that some differences in growth rates, length/age at maturity and/or egg production exist. I am simply trying to find out if this is the case to learn more about this commercially and recreationally important species. Lastly, the more information we have about a species, the better chance of proper management and, therefore, a lower probability of over or under-utilization of the resource. I am just trying to uncover some truths about this species and will be looking to share my study's results with the community. Any support you all can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
    Cheryl

Hello Cheryl,
    I will help if I can.
    The halibut, from the surf, have not been cooperating lately...
    If and when I find a spot going off, I will shoot you a PM.
    Heck, if you want, I will let you know and you can fish with me and pull one out yourself...
    I'll show you how to filet also.
    Robert
    <><

p.s. I had one yesterday but it was only 20".

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    Hello Cheryl,
    I will help if I can.
    The halibut, from the surf, have not been cooperating lately...
    If and when I find a spot going off, I will shoot you a PM.
    Heck, if you want, I will let you know and you can fish with me and pull one out yourself...
    I'll show you how to filet also.
    Robert
    <><

p.s. I had one yesterday but it was only 20".
    Thanks a ton, Robert! Where are you fishing? And I would love to go with you (especially, if we can get some shorts! - I've got a scientific collecting permit to do so, but must be present to make it legal).

Hi Cheryl,
    The vast majority of us on this forum fish south of Pt. Conception. So I'm not sure how much value we can add.
    Good luck on your thesis. Sounds like a fun study.

And to the spazzes worried about fishing closures.... Graduate work isn't necessarily going to result in MLPA closures, so calm down, especially since she appears to be looking specifically at growth rate and reproduction, not numbers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast