Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 6/8 Colorado River

Default 6/8 Colorado River

Sorry for the late report.
    First time going up fishing Colorado River we ended up fishing Palo Verde Dam by Mayflower we ended up catching 20 catfish average size 3lbs to 4lbs good eaten size, my biggest ~9lbs. I was trying to get into the stripers actions, I know flatheads may not be in the river I don't know we did not catch any.Will like to try get into the flathead action next time out, if anyone have any suggestion I'm all ears. Sorry no pixs ..lo

Quote Originally Posted by lowe View Post
    Sorry for the late report.
    First time going up fishing Colorado River we ended up fishing Palo Verde Dam by Mayflower we ended up catching 20 catfish average size 3lbs to 4lbs good eaten size, my biggest ~9lbs. I was trying to get into the stripers actions, I know flatheads may not be in the river I don't know we did not catch any.Will like to try get into the flathead action next time out, if anyone have any suggestion I'm all ears. Sorry no pixs ..lo
    Hey lowe did you fish from boat or shore? Good job on exploring new territory

MM

Nice job! I am heading down tomorrow. I have a buddy that has a house on the river just up from palo at Havey's fishing hole. I have seen his neighbor catch some big flats out of the main river however; we haven't caught any big ones yet! He's like a 15min drive from palo and was thinking of fishing there at night instead of his dock. During the day we fish from his boat.

Posted on a Yuma fishing forum by AGFDfishguy

AZ Game and Fish annual flathead surveys
    May 04, 2012, 08:18:17 PM

We started our annual flathead catfish surveys on the Colorado River this week, on the Palo Verde and Cibola Divisions. We spent four days surveying the river from the Palo Verde Diversion dam, and ended up a few miles below Walter's Camp. We measured and released close to 1000 flatheads; there weren't any really memorable fish. A number between 15 and 30 pounds, with the largest at 42 pounds. We got into the very upper end of the Imperial Division, and netted a 46-pounder. As is usual for the region between the Palo Verde Diversion Dam and Walter's Camp, most of the fish are relatively small, but very numerous. The river in that stretch is very channelized, with mostly rip-rapped banks, which is great for the smaller flatheads, but doesn't offer a lot of habitat for the really big guys. They are there, but pretty far and few between.

Next week we plan to sample the Laguna Division (including the USBR settling basin, which we have never surveyed before; we have high hopes for it...) and Mittry Lake, which we have not done for 10 or 15 years. We don't expect to catch much in Mittry, because of the high conductivity, which limits the effectiveness of our electrofishing boat, but we know that there are a few 25-30 pounders in the lake, based on angler's reports (including Bob), and a nice one we got on our bass surveys last fall (I think it was 30 pounds). The following two weeks we'll be on the Imperial Division, picking up where we left off below Walter's Camp, and continuing on downriver to Imperial Dam. This is the stretch of river that supports more larger flatheads, although they still aren't all that common. The more natural state of the river in the Imperial Division is much better habitat for the bigger fish, with lots of cover, deep pools, and varied environments that the larger fish seem to thrive in. I've mentioned this before, and you're probably sick of hearing about it, but we measured an 89.4-pound fish not far above Imperial Dam, a few years ago. As far as I know, he's still out there, and undoubtedly bigger than ever!

Thanks guys, I was fishing from my boat, I have to say be very careful out there some spots are very low you will have to have a FF with Depth control is a must and a boat oar just incase you get stuck. I was coming off the lake about 3am in the morning bad idea, unless you are going to stay the night wait for in the morning until the water raise. What a nightmare live in learn. Sudays mornings beware water comes in like a flood you don't want to be caught by the dam when this happen I believe Sundays and Wensdays mornings. Man can't wait to get back out there. Thanks for reading ..lo

I usually take my jon boat to fish the river, I'm a bit more partial to the area below Blythe.
    As you stated a FF is a definite advantage to read the depth.
    A good GPS with the river on it is also a good thing to have as you can mark your route, hopefully in the channel, going out and follow it back even in the dark.
    Almost any hole you can find along the bank is likely to produce stripers. I've caught quite a few when fishing smaller baits for Flatheads.
    That Swift water just below the Palo Verde Diversion Dam does produce a good striper now and then.
    Just down river where the cable crosses is said to be the hot spot for Flatheads, also where the drain comes off the CRIT reservation on the Az. side is supposed to produce some bigger models.

Quote Originally Posted by plumbertom View Post
    I usually take my jon boat to fish the river, I'm a bit more partial to the area below Blythe.
    As you stated a FF is a definite advantage to read the depth.
    A good GPS with the river on it is also a good thing to have as you can mark your route, hopefully in the channel, going out and follow it back even in the dark.
    Almost any hole you can find along the bank is likely to produce stripers. I've caught quite a few when fishing smaller baits for Flatheads.
    That Swift water just below the Palo Verde Diversion Dam does produce a good striper now and then.
    Just down river where the cable crosses is said to be the hot spot for Flatheads, also where the drain comes off the CRIT reservation on the Az. side is supposed to produce some bigger models.
    Great info! A FF is next on the list for the boat. We always go up river towards Mcintyre. Think we do it for incase boat dies we float back to the house. I am still looking for my first real sized striper hmmmm and also good sized flat hmmmm