Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who makes these lures?

Hey guys,
    what makes the Pupfish so special? I remember back in the early 90's when they first hit the shelves, my friends and I thought they were pretty cool but thought the hand painted colors and detail just did not compete with the Jap lures that were all the rage. The action was good but nothing to scream about. I figure that maybe because not a lot of them were sold that it's rarity may add to it's value today. Just curious,...

bodfish

Quote Originally Posted by JeffO View Post
    The only real difference that I can think of is that the pupfish is about 5" long and the Dog-X's are 3.0 or 3.5"... Unless they make Dog-X's in a larger size? Otherwise I agree - they're suspiciously similar.
    They don't offer them in larger sizes unfortunately. The Giant Dog X is a bit larger, but the profile is a bit different. Still an excellent topwater bait. I have a few of the Evergreen Amazon baits, which is the only 'walk-the-dog' style JDM bait (that i can afford) that was bigger than the rest.

http://www.evergreen-fishing.com/goo...1470169_1.html

Quote Originally Posted by JeffO View Post
    The Paycheck Repo Man is a great lure. They certainly have a similar shape as the lures I posted about. Keep throwing it and you'll nail them for sure.
    They're using the mold that Reaction Innovations used for their Vixen and Barely Legal Vixen. Apparently everybody's trying to snatch up the older RI ones, and I know of at least one person who isn't very happy with the new Repo Man, and had some quality control issues with the bait.

I wonder why Reaction Innovations stopped making those Vixens and Barely Legals. The 3 treble hooks stuck stripers real well.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...0vixen&_sop=16

Check out the prices on eBay. Sheesh. Perhaps I should get rid of some of mine for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by bodfish View Post
    Hey guys,
    what makes the Pupfish so special? I remember back in the early 90's when they first hit the shelves, my friends and I thought they were pretty cool but thought the hand painted colors and detail just did not compete with the Jap lures that were all the rage. The action was good but nothing to scream about. I figure that maybe because not a lot of them were sold that it's rarity may add to it's value today. Just curious,...

bodfish
    I think there were 2 factors that made the bait 'special.'

1. The availability. In essence, the supply was scarce.

2. Demand. Once the bait was featured on the Big Bait Posse DVD, the prices skyrocketed.

I think the Lunker Punker is a good alternative, and it looks a lot better, and the walk the dog action is excellent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BUCKET BRIGADE REPRESENT!!!

www.bucketbrigadeer.com
    Chasing stocking trux and bustin capz. That's how we roll!
    Last edited by DarkShadow; 06-26-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12