Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Skinner 6/9 and bluestone alert

Default Skinner 6/9 and bluestone alert

Hit LMB only today. Surprisingly cool and foggy this morning. Largemouth were hitting topwaters pretty regularly early. Lots of fun. When that bite shut down I found them holding very tight to cover in shallow water using a jig. Tried a few spots with a dropshot for no love. I didn't change up to crankbaits but that may work given all the small bluegill I saw. The water is pretty darn clear, but lots of tall weeds in water 15' or less.

They will be bluestoning on Tuesday June 12. For those who care. Tight lines.
    Last edited by P.A.W.; 06-09-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Default BlueStoning?

What is bluestoning?Is that going to be at Lake Skinner?Thanks.Tiffer

They add copper sulfate to the water for algae control. The water testers at the DWP keep tabs on the quality of the water for drinking. If they find something they think may affect the quality they "fix it".

Some folks think it has a detremental affect of fishing, but personally I haven't found this to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by P.A.W. View Post
    They add copper sulfate to the water for algae control. The water testers at the DWP keep tabs on the quality of the water for drinking. If they find something they think may affect the quality they "fix it".

Some folks think it has a detremental affect of fishing, but personally I haven't found this to be true.

i was waiting for your report before i let my house today as sometimes you put em up early in the day. my wife wanted to go out to the lake to kick back so unfortunately we got to skinner around 230. was pretty windy and hard to fish the tules and caught only 1 decent size bass and then headed over to the inlet to check it out. water was coming in but it still didnt look that good there. threw some bait out for my kid and started throwing the big popper. ended up catching a nice 2.5 to 3 lb trout on a cut anchovy there. i guess there is a first time for everything. wife got wet from lying down and wanted to leave around 5. short day. cant wait till the stripers start to boil.

My wife and I were at Skinner Friday the 7th, and were disappointed from shore. Seems there's not a whole lot going on from shore. It's all shallow beach all along the shore fishing areas, unfortunately. We're going back today. I was wondering if anyone has tips about the fishing the heavy cover. It was like we were fishing for salad instead of fish LOL!!! argeting kitties, too, so any tips for kitties is most welcome. Lastly. Any spots recommended, both from boat and shore. We might just end up renting a boat to get to deeper water. I wonder if the weeds abound in deeper parts of the lake as well? Thanks all!

Kaiyasdad, You got there just about the time I was leaving. I also tried the inlet and threw maybe 20 - 30 casts for nada. So the big trout are hitting anchovie..... funny. I talked with the ranger girls Shannon and Anette and they told me they only saw one striper comming off the lake today. I did pull mu U-rig around for a bit but got 2 largemouths on it instead of striper.

I was there yesterday too and it seems the smaller LMB are biting. We fished from opening to 1:30, boated 20+, but a lot were smaller. Talk to a few guys striper fishing, but they hadnt gotten any. Seems like the lake has slowed down a bit. Im gonna hit up DVL next weeekend instead, seeing a few great reports from there.

Heads up bluestoning will be on 9-13-12

Hey, thanks for the heads up!