Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Waxworm Farm for Free!

Default Waxworm Farm for Free!

I have an on-going waxworm farm I want to get rid of. I know they're not supposed to produce more than one batch, but I have been successful at having multiple generations produce in this one farm, and they just keep on going. I just did a little digging with my hand, no counting, but there must be a 50 to 100 in there right now. The problem is, I don't like fishing with waxworms anymore. To me they're too squishy, and they don't usually stay on the hook for more than one fish. I prefer maggots, so I want to get rid of this farm.

The "farm" consists of an aquarium tank painted black with a screen top and a felt cover to keep it dark. It has lots of food inside, consisting of weetabix, honey, and glycerin, and corrugated egg-laying platforms. I am actually surprised they are still thriving. I think if someone just put in another load of weetabix, honey, and glycerin, they would keep making wormies. Great for panfish, and supposedly for trout.

No charge. I live in Pasadena. If you're interested, let me know, and we can set up some place to meet and I will give you the whole thing and instructions how to keep it going!

Here's the catch. You have to swear that you will be a responsible waxworm farmer, and please, please, please, take it seriously. Waxworms make moths that hunt out and attack bee hives. There are lots of bee hives all over the place, even if you don't see them. Even one moth can destroy a whole bee hive. If you take this farm, please promise you will do everything you can to keep the moths under control and not let any of them get loose. That's all. Just let me know.
    Last edited by Cartman; 06-09-2012 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Add to description of "farm"

2. Default

That's a heck of a deal. Should work great at Perris!

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    That's a heck of a deal. Should work great at Perris!
    Hey, Dude! Yeah, waxworms work great at Perris. Maggots work better than anything, and I don't even bother harvesting the waxworms anymore.

Man....sooo interested ! i have Scorpion and a bearded dragon that would love to eat those. How often do they reproduce ? I will be in Anaheim today at 1251 Manaserro Street. I will be there all day if you want to drop them off. It's right off the 91 and the 55 freeway. Text me if you're coming. 71242two2-0170. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Man....sooo interested ! i have Scorpion and a bearded dragon that would love to eat those. How often do they reproduce ? I will be in Anaheim today at 1251 Manaserro Street. I will be there all day if you want to drop them off. It's right off the 91 and the 55 freeway. Text me if you're coming. 71242two2-0170. thanks.
    Sure, no problem. The "farm" is free. Delivery charge from Pasadena is $150. Let me know what time you want it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    Sure, no problem. The "farm" is free. Delivery charge from Pasadena is $150. Let me know what time you want it there.
    Jon, besides delivering it, you could at least thrown in some extras.

Quote Originally Posted by vortec_cruiser View Post
    Jon, besides delivering it, you could at least thrown in some extras.
    You're right, Ed. What was I thinking? For the delivery charge I will throw in an uneaten half a box of weetabix (well, almost half a box).

Waxworms, and weetabix have all found a new home. The end.