Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Upper Lake Wind Question

Default Upper Lake Wind Question

Hey guys,

The bass club I'm in is fishing Castaic this saturday and I was wondering how often does the lake shut down due to windy conditions....it would suck if we all drove up there (from Moreno Valley) to fish and they shut it down on us....any opinions...

btw how has the Bass bite been up there.

Thanks

They will shut it down to to very high winds at anytime.Check the weather reports.Todays winds onlu got up to 8mph.Yesterday they were up over 20 and they didnt let any boats on.It doesnt look like any wind on saturday,but double check.

Alright thanks for the info.....what happens if we get on the lake then the winds pick up??? will they come get us and tell us to get off or once your on.....your on?

Quote Originally Posted by a321eric View Post
    Alright thanks for the info.....what happens if we get on the lake then the winds pick up??? will they come get us and tell us to get off or once your on.....your on?
    I believe once your on, your on. But be very careful, the wind and waves at castaic is no joke man.

Quote Originally Posted by allIdoIsfish View Post
    I believe once your on, your on. But be very careful, the wind and waves at castaic is no joke man.
    I believed it. As long as they allow your boat to launch then you are on your own.

Oh okay. Thanks for the info guys! now hows the bite lol

The wind at Castaic can get pretty nasty, but the way the lake is shaped there's always somewhere to go hide from it. If it's nasty on the fishing arm, go over to ski arm/elizabeth canyon kind of area and it's usually more protected. In the morning it's generally pretty calm, the wind will kick up in the afternoon and by the late afternoon it usually dies back down again. If it gets really windy I usually just ride it out. I've never been stuck in a situation I thought was unsafe or felt like it was REALLY hard to retrieve my boat. Just take your time and all will be well.

If it gets ruff,just stay close to the shore lines.....dont go in the middle until u really have too.The patrol boats are always watching n driving the lakes when it gets hard....especially in them lil rentals...

You will want to check this link.. for a forecast
    http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...&FcstType=text

When its working this is pretty good place to check also
    http://www.castaiclake.com/weather.html