Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive ultralight to medium light baitcasting rods?

Default Inexpensive ultralight to medium light baitcasting rods?

My budget is about 80 bucks so if anyone knows of any solid rods please leave some info below. I'm looking for a rod that can cast a 1/16oz wacky jighead and flickshake worm without much effort. Gratz....

-IF2L

Walmart carries a wide variety of light weight rods.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    My budget is about 80 bucks so if anyone knows of any solid rods please leave some info below. I'm looking for a rod that can cast a 1/16oz wacky jighead and flickshake worm without much effort. Gratz....

-IF2L
    Don't know of any around that price range...the only 'light' kind of stuff is on the pricey side, considering it takes a 'pricey' baitcasting reel to get such light baits out.

I know the JDM market has a TON of them, but the price tag (plus shipping to get them stateside) is pretty big.

I know if I had the cash, I'd get a Dobyns DX 701C, but I'd be spending over $319, so that's out.

Good luck...i still can't pull anything out of my memory that would handle light stuff like that and have a trigger.

Thanks for the response guys. This is what I've found so far, but I don't want to jump the gun without feeling the rod for myself.

https://www.okumafishing.com/product...gh-performance

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    Thanks for the response guys. This is what I've found so far, but I don't want to jump the gun without feeling the rod for myself.

https://www.okumafishing.com/product...gh-performance
    I *was* going to recommend a crappie baitcasting rod, BUT, from experience, these rods are extremely parabolic and you won't be able to set the hook on anything with those baits you are going to throw, let alone cast decently.

Trying to find Fast or Extra Fast action is going to be a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    I *was* going to recommend a crappie baitcasting rod, BUT, from experience, these rods are extremely parabolic and you won't be able to set the hook on anything with those baits you are going to throw, let alone cast decently.

Trying to find Fast or Extra Fast action is going to be a challenge.
    The quest continues... lol. Thanks again DarkShadow.

I have the following rod for sale:

Abu Garcia Veritas (VRC73) rold.
    7' 3" 1pc, 1/4 - 1oz (Medium Heavy)

and its within your price range.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...eritas-(VRC73)

Quote Originally Posted by rusn007 View Post
    I have the following rod for sale:

Abu Garcia Veritas (VRC73) rold.
    7' 3" 1pc, 1/4 - 1oz (Medium Heavy)

and its within your price range.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...eritas-(VRC73)
    Thank you for the offer, but I need a rod that can cast 1/16oz stuff.

Ifishtoolittle,

I'm still running my brain here trying to figure out a rod that you can use for that price range. Believe me, I'm a huge ultra light fan, and people look at me weird when I run 4# on my baitcasting outfits.

IF you can find a Powell used, you may be able to skate by with a 702C, which is a true 'medium' rod, that i used 6 and 7 pound test with, but they retail for $139 new.

You may also want to look at a Shimano Compre Casting Rod, 6'8" Medium, but that's gonna run you $100.

In fact, the Shimano Compre Casting Rod 7'2" Medium, is rated for 6#, which might be something you'd be interested in, plus the longer length will aide in casting the lighter stuff. But, those 7'2" are $119.

The Shimano Clarus Casting Rod 6'8" Medium are $79. Also rated for 6#.

They make the 7'2" model as well, but those are $89.

The TFO Loomis Signature Cast Rod 7' Medium is also meant for 6#, and retails $99. I've heard great things about the TFO rods.

You could also go with a Abu Garcia Vendetta Cast Rod 7' Medium, but it is rated for 8#, so I don't know if that'll be light enough for your needs.

Out of curiosity, what baitcaster are you pairing this up with?

Might be a silly reply;however, maybe if you go to the sports authority sale you might find something that you like, and its 50%off? The montclair store had a bunch of goodies last week. They do not have the fancy rods though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast