Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 1/2 day boat gear

Default 1/2 day boat gear

hey guys was wondering if any of you guys who had been on a half day boat recently could give me a heads up on what kind of gear to bring out.(line sinkers ect) looking to get on one in the next week here

thanks for the info im going to make sure and get on it before the time is up. Still wondering what to expect gear wise, probably going to get on a 3/4 this weekend coming up and save that deal for a weekday i that i can get out on since it looks like a lot of people on the mdr 1/2 days on weekends.

You'll be fine with a 25# or 30# line reel paired with a 7' medium heavy rod.

Right now the sportfishing boats seem to be targeting sand bass and barracuda so I'd take hook sizes from #2 to 2/0 and 1/2 oz egg sinkers to fly line. Some 1.5-2oz lead heads as well. Tady or salas irons too but the barracuda haven't been biting those lately.

They also might target some rockfish so you'll want 6 to 12oz torpedo sinkers depending on the current.

If you have it, I'd also bring a lighter rig. I mainly fish twilight boats instead of the daytime half days, and bring a 25lb rig for bait and a 15lb level wind for throwing curly tail grubs on 1/2 oz lead heads. Sometimes the bass will bite the plastics when they aren't going after bait. I would suggest a couple of 2 oz torpedo sinkers for the bait rig.

Thanks guys, ill have to check thru my supplies and see what I need to go pick up. Ill try and post up a report sunday night or monday morning, let you guys now how it went.