Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Hammer Swim baits?

Default Big Hammer Swim baits?

I don't fish saltwater as much as I fish freshwater, but when I do Fish saltwater I tend to do alright. I catch a few bay bass in New Port on a spinner bait, but I mostly catch sting ray because I use squid on the bottom. I was just wanting to know the best thing to use to catch bay bass I know that Big Hammers work but I dont know the best way to fish them...I am planning on fishing down in New Port this weekend so if you have advise I would appreciate it!

Add some Fish attractant,that should help.

i dont really fish them but from what ice seen just throw them on a leadhead 1/4oz up to 3/4oz and toss them by docks or any other structure

i will try some attractant...I have the lead heads for them I am not sure how to retrieve it properly I seem to get more bites when I somewhat jig it off the bottom than just a cast and retrieve.

try both retrieves both slow and fast and see what they want that day

The biggest mistake people make when using big hammers to target spotties, is to fish them like a traditional swimbait, they try to go nuts and dart it and swim it at a steady pace.. What you SHOULD be doing, is making small short hops, and drag it slowly with frequent sudden stops. Try to move as slow as you can, and I mean SLOW! You will get a strike every now and then while swimming the hammer at a steady pace, but you'll also get alot of tails pulled off this way!

You'll get alot more bass simply dragging the bait on the bottom at a slow pace.

Spotted sand bass prefer crustaceans and mollusks over fish in most cases.

thanks smoke hound i will definitely try that I will also keep throwing the spinner bait too because I have ripped numerous 1-2 lb bay bass on them.

in regards to big hammers. why not add a stinger? that is how i fish them

good thinking...what pound test do you use for the trailer?

On that rig I use 8lb. I am not using anything heavier that 8lb main line. So, I do not have to worry about breaking it because my drag is set properly. p.s. superglue the knots and hook the to tail

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast