Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A half day Tenkara fly-fishing at the beautiful Jenks Lake!...):}+{:(...

Default A half day Tenkara fly-fishing at the beautiful Jenks Lake!...):}+{:(...

5/19, woke up to a nice sunny Saturday, just being lazy and relaxing in the house. After a good rest, all of sudden a thought crossed my mind - How about we go visit Jenks Lake? I shared my thought with my husband and we quickly worked as a team as usual - I pick the destination, and he googles the map.....It's always nice to have a 'Honey do' and that makes my life much easier and sweet. I didn't even know how long it would take for us to get there, as he was driving, I took a nice nap with my seat down in the car.

We arrived Jenks Lake parking lot at 3:45pm. I got my 11' Tenkara rod and headed down to the lake. The sun was strong and the weather was very warm. The water was crystal clear, with tall pines and other large trees surrounding it. It made this small lake look like a hidden gem.

I fished on the pier and saw some trout were swimming in the deep water. I cast out a size 16 Elkwing Caddis dry fly, the trout were only interested to check it out, but no bites at all. I heard someone say that trout fishing was tough today due to the hot weather. We were walking around the lake and chated with others and only saw a few people were lucky with 1-3 trout on their strings.

We hiked around the lake and I started to sight fish. I found a wide open spot right across from the fishing pier where the water was deeper and the weeds were taller and thicker than other side of the shore. I cast out the fly towards the weeds and saw a couple of trout come out of the cover and inspect it.

I repeatedly cast over their cover and once I got a hit, I quickly raised up my pole. The trout swam from left and right and tried its best to get off the hook. I extended my arm all the way up and raised its head up. I slowly leaned my body back and pulled it closer and landed it on the shore. This rainbow trout had beautiful color all over its body.......

After my Elkwing Caddis dry fly snagged on a tree branch, I was fishing with a size 16 Adams Parachute dry fly. I continued fishing that area and had one more hit on the fly. This time I hooked up a baby bass. I moved to different location and fished for a while and hooked another trout, it fought hard and I lost it half way in during the battle.

Around 4:30pm, the wind blew strongly in my face, and I was frustrated with getting wind knots on my line and snagging the fly up in the trees. I had to give up trout fishing and move to the opposite side of the lake to fish with the wind at my back.I discovered this side of the lake was much shallower and an area more like a sandy beach. Maybe because of this reason, I only saw two little trout swim by.

There were a few spots that I spied on had some under cover bass and green sunfish. They were so crazy about my Adams fly, and they attacked the fly aggressively. They kept me so busy with the catch. With in 3 hours, I mix matched 29 pretty sunfish and 11 hand sized bass. ( all fish were released safely, included the trout!)

At 7:30pm the sun went down and every one who fished by my side had left. The park looked pretty empty, so we joined the club and hurried back to the car. It turns out that park closes at 7pm, and we two didn't know until we got to the parking lot. Luckily the man who is supposed lock up the gate was busy doing something else and didn't even bother to kick us out. That gave me another 30 mins of time to have fun. What a lucky girl I am!....

Last edited by The Fishing Queen; 05-22-2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Add photo

[QUOTE=The Fishing Queen;607500]/QUOTE]

From this picture, I can see you are using great Tenkara Master fishing form. With all the fish you caught, I must have left my lucky mojo on that rod.

Great report. Great pics. Great day of fishing. Looks like you are expanding your fishing areas. Lucky for your husband that after your morning of "just being lazy and relaxing in the house", you did not decide you wanted to go fishing in Hawaii . Your husband is just too good to you. Jenks lake looks beautiful with the clear water and all the tall pines. As usual, you did not take the easy way out and went out hunting for productive fishing spots instead of just putting out a lounge chair and hoping a fish swims by. Nice variety of fish. You may never fish the Pudd again. Looking forward to your next report.

Great report and nice looking sunfish,finally I see your net in use.

great pics!!!!! thanks for the report

good job, i got the skunk at the pudd yesterday :( whish i went there instead

Quote Originally Posted by christainmetalhead909 View Post
    great pics!!!!! thanks for the report
    Thanks for the comment on my report!

Quote Originally Posted by fishermanx14 View Post
    good job, i got the skunk at the pudd yesterday :( whish i went there instead
    Thanks fishermanx14! Sorry to hear about your skunk. I went to the pudd for a couple hours and only caught 7 small panfish today. It was a very strange day for fishing, a few people also got skunked. The water looks very murky and muddy. Carps were spawning all over the lake, mostly near the shore, and that might disturb the fishery. I haven't seen you for a while, I bet you were busy studying and preparing for school finals right?

Nice! always good seeing some fly action good job queen

Quote Originally Posted by Troutcz swimbait View Post
    Great report and nice looking sunfish,finally I see your net in use.
    John, thanks for following my reports, and thanks for your kind words as always! As you know I put a lot of time and work into each of my reports and hopefully some people will read and appreciate them just like you.... Every fish that I caught had very rich colors, very different colors than the sunfish of the Pudd. And yes, I love my new net, it works great for catching and releasing trout.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyLisa View Post
    Nice! always good seeing some fly action good job queen
    Thanks! I think fly fishing is doing well these days, I bet you and Tony would agree with me on this. I saw a couple of your reports and know you guys had fun catching panfish and bass on flies too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishnfun View Post

From this picture, I can see you are using great Tenkara Master fishing form. With all the fish you caught, I must have left my lucky mojo on that rod.

Great report. Great pics. Great day of fishing. Looks like you are expanding your fishing areas. Lucky for your husband that after your morning of "just being lazy and relaxing in the house", you did not decide you wanted to go fishing in Hawaii . Your husband is just too good to you. Jenks lake looks beautiful with the clear water and all the tall pines. As usual, you did not take the easy way out and went out hunting for productive fishing spots instead of just putting out a lounge chair and hoping a fish swims by. Nice variety of fish. You may never fish the Pudd again. Looking forward to your next report.
    Hawaii,...... Not a bad idea!!!....Ok, ok, I agree that your lucky mojo brought me better luck! Glad that you liked the report, and thanks for your continued support! I love the outdoors and the mountains and I might pay more visits to fish in other areas instead of just local lakes. Especially when summer comes and my kids are out of school and no more 'taxi mom', or 'mom on call'. Then I don't have to stay local for their convenience (that why I mostly fish at the pudd because it's only 7-8 minus away from my house)..... And YES, a big credit goes to my wonderful husband Scott, for his great support of my passionate sport - which means I fish nearly 300 days a year and for buying me all kinds of tackle and never having any complains (except that I want a fish finder for the kayak that he bought me and he says that I don't really need one because I am the fish finder). He just got me a 4 pcs fly rod combo for easy packing yesterday, so I can go fly fishing in river and mountains. And as we talked last time, my order for the Tenkara USA 13' Amago rod is going to be on it's way.......

Charlie, I went online last Sunday and I saw Orvis is having some items on sale, so I am planing to shop in Orvis this afternoon. I needs more flies and floating line for my future upgrade. I know you live near Pasadena, if you need something like that, you should pay a visit to that store or check it out on their website. Take care!*

Quote Originally Posted by The Fishing Queen View Post
    Charlie, I went online last Sunday and I saw Orvis is having some items on sale, so I am planing to shop in Orvis this afternoon. I needs more flies and floating line for my future upgrade. I know you live near Pasadena, if you need something like that, you should pay a visit to that store or check it out on their website. Take care!*
    Hi Fishing Queen - Not sure if you will ge this message in time, but if you're going to Orvis and you plan to spend at least $50, ask them to put you on their mailing list and see if they will give you the current coupon to use. The coupon is spend minimum $50 and get $25 off on full price items. They currently have the coupon good until 06/17/12. Have fun shopping!

P.S. Check your PM.
    Last edited by Fishnfun; 05-22-2012 at 09:38 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast