Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Santa Ana River 5/28

Default Santa Ana River 5/28

Hit up the river with my 4 wt fly rod about noon on Monday. River was hit pretty hard over the weekend so I expected to see lots of scared fish running for cover. Used a small yellow stimulator and a prince nymph as a dropper. Worked the river for about 3 hours. Caught a lot of small browns 5-8". The rainbows looked pretty fished out. I did find a nice pool with about 5 rainbows under a bank. Most likely freshly stocked and they wanted nothing to do with my flies. The water this year is very skinny and there are a lot less pools then normal. All in all I had a great time. By the way, the colors on the little browns are pretty cool this time of year.
    P.S. talk about tight cover, either I am getting older or it is getting harder to cast under all those trees.
    YD

Cool post. I usually hit SGR...haven't hit SAR lately.
    TM27

nice report. whereabouts in the santa ana do you fish? I will not be fishing it, as I am a pure large mouth guy. I was just curious since I live in Riverside. Feel free to PM me if your location is secret. Thanks.

P.S. talk about tight cover, either I am getting older or it is getting harder to cast under all those trees.
    YD[/QUOTE]

I noticed that too ..when i was fishing with my 11' Tenkara ... i had to do BOW AND ARROW casts most of the day.... Cool report ..... what sized on the stimulator.....