Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Catfish Fishing 101: The Basics

Quote Originally Posted by TaperSteve
    At most California lakes it is against the law to use live fish for bait like trout, bluegills, etc.... thus that is why I decided not to mention it. Catfish definetly love to gorge on live bait from time to time, too bad we aren't allowed to use it at most places in Cali.
    That's true. However I mentioned that because catfish will eagerly slam a lure, especially if it's a scented plastic, or dipped in attractant! I just had to clarify that catfish have good eyesight, and in gin-clear water, switching to a lighter line will definitely produce more kitties.

Try dragging some soft plastics around your catfish spot, you'll be surprised how effective lures can be when targeting channel catfish.

Good stuff Steve. I appreciate the info. being a somewhat rookie at the catfish game. Keep the info coming bro.

Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post
    That's true. However I mentioned that because catfish will eagerly slam a lure, especially if it's a scented plastic, or dipped in attractant! I just had to clarify that catfish have good eyesight, and in gin-clear water, switching to a lighter line will definitely produce more kitties.

Try dragging some soft plastics around your catfish spot, you'll be surprised how effective lures can be when targeting channel catfish.
    Ohh for sure. I've caught cats while trolling with leadcore. Last month I lost a BIG, BIG, cat while trolling by the dam at the Vine.

Thanx for the input keep it coming!

TS

When you guys use shrimp for bait where do you get it from, the grocery store?

Very helpful post and information. Is it possible to catch cats during the day at all? I read they swim around and search for food at night, but prefer to fish during the day if possible. I live pretty close to Irvine Lake and wanted to target cats from my float tube this summer.

Anyone tube for cats during the day at Irvine and want to help out the new guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Perris_holic View Post
    When you guys use shrimp for bait where do you get it from, the grocery store?
    usually just a 1/2 lb-1 lb. from any mexican or asian market with the heads on and everything...

Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    Very helpful post and information. Is it possible to catch cats during the day at all? I read they swim around and search for food at night, but prefer to fish during the day if possible. I live pretty close to Irvine Lake and wanted to target cats from my float tube this summer.

Anyone tube for cats during the day at Irvine and want to help out the new guy?
    Yes you can definitely catch cats during the day. Irvine hasn't started their summer hours yet and all those giant cats in those pictures I posted links to above were caught during the day. They don't move around as much during the day so if your anchored up at one spot during the day and don't get any bites after 45 minutes then its time to move to a new spot (if possible).

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Frequent Flyer View Post
    usually just a 1/2 lb-1 lb. from any mexican or asian market with the heads on and everything...
    yeah the whole ones (head, tail, legs, and all....) work best. Some people like to use bigger ones but being a tight wade I usually buy whatever count is on sale.

TS

Great, informative read. Thanks for taking the time to put it together. That's a ton of great info!

Thanks for the tips. Is it possible to use a float tube to catch the cats at Irvine or do you suggest just getting a boat rental so I can cover more area quickly?

Anyone float tube cat fish guides around?? I'll bring my WSM and stoker if you want to camp out!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast