Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Impact of strong wind on lake fish....why does it impact them?

Default Impact of strong wind on lake fish....why does it impact them?

I always figured that fish under water is really not impacted by wind since the wide is above and the fish just hand out at the bottom. However, apparently strong wind does affect the fish.

So with a lake, if the wind was blowing from the east towards the west, does that actually push the fish to the west shore? And how strong an impulse is this?

Thanks,
    UL

Well there are 3 conditions that are looked at when windy. How strong the winds are. How long the winds have been blowing. How far (distance) the winds are blowing across a body of water (FETCH).

So as duration, speed, and distance of the winds increase then more mixing occurs down wind... larger wave action... more oxygenated waters.... Fish like oxygen... all sizes ... more bait ..more predators....

Ah.....I thought it was because of the wind causing water to move under the waves and pushing the fish. But wasn't sure how that worked.

UL

Quote Originally Posted by VIVID_FLY View Post
    Well there are 3 conditions that are looked at when windy. How strong the winds are. How long the winds have been blowing. How far (distance) the winds are blowing across a body of water (FETCH).

So as duration, speed, and distance of the winds increase then more mixing occurs down wind... larger wave action... more oxygenated waters.... Fish like oxygen... all sizes ... more bait ..more predators....

the wind is a big asset when fishing in lakes. it keys the baitfish into specific areas, and fish hold nearby. It also acts to move you along an area to pinpoint where that is. I don't even try to catch crappie until the wind starts to blow