Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LA River Carp Flies

Default LA River Carp Flies

Met a fellow fly fisher at Pudd today. He was interested in seeing the type of flies we used down at the LA River to catch carp. So, here are the pics I promised him. They are nothing fancy, mainly glo bug type with variations in color. The ones made with the Estaz type chenille also works at times because of the added flash. We use a 5/32 size gold bead. You can add some lead wire under the bead if you want more weight. We also tie some without the bead to fish the carp we can see in the shallows. Hooks in size 10 and 12. The off white and chartreuse are the standard colors. But, sometimes a little added contrast color makes a difference. I fish a 6 wt but you can fish heavier. Leader is a straight 8' - 9' fluoro or mono leader in 8# test. Set strike indicator at desired depth. You want the fly to drift near the bottom without snagging. Cast up current and let drift down. Mend line if necessary for natural drift. If indicator stops or goes under, set the hook and the fun begins.

When are we going ... with our Tenkara Rods ..

Quote Originally Posted by VIVID_FLY View Post
    When are we going ... with our Tenkara Rods ..
    I bet your Amago could handle it. I'm not too sure my Stone Fly can. Broke in my rod yesterday with Fishing Queen. The usual small panfish/LMB. Lots of fun to feel the bend on my new rod. Also saw Mike doing his fly thing. See you out there.

Charlie, we have to plan a trip to fish for carp. I want try to get one on my fly rod. it will be fun! Thanks for posting the pictures and the info!

some nice flies

Cool flies!
    I am a carp newbie and lean towards the wooly bugger-type flies. I definitely need to experiment.
    For you Carp guys, this may be of interest: http://carpthrowdown.com

On facebook: Carp Throw Down
    B.

Quote Originally Posted by LARiver View Post
    Cool flies! I am a carp newbie and lean towards the wooly bugger-type flies. I definitely need to experiment.
    I think you see buggers and insect type flies used a lot more in lake settings for carp. In the LA River, seems like most guys use the glo bug type flies. Unless you can tie a fly that looks and smells like some corn tortillas which is what most of the spinning gear guys use for bait at the LA River.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fishing Queen View Post
    Charlie, we have to plan a trip to fish for carp. I want try to get one on my fly rod. it will be fun!!
    It definitely would be fun. We'll need to work on it.

LA River carp on the fly.

Last edited by Fishnfun; 05-25-2012 at 10:59 PM.

what part of the la river has carp?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast